6.5 PRC Feeding from Internal Mag Box

pburton

I am building a new custom 6.5 PRC and I am trying to decide between running an internal box mag or going with an M5 bottom metal. Trying to keep the weight down as much as possible as this rifle will be strictly for hunting. How does the 6.5 PRC feed from an internal mag box? The action is a Kelbly Atlas light, so thinking about using a Wyatts box. Thanks for any help!

I've used both internal boxes and Hawkins flush hunter magazines. If you get your stock inlet for an M5 cut you can go either way. Hawkins makes M5 bottom metal for both styles and Wyatts will have an internal box for the Hawkins bdl style bottom metal.

If you're building it on a long action they are sometimes tricky to get to feed reliably without some tweaking on the internal box. One way around that is using a Wyatts center feed box, they feed like butter out of those. With those boxes the rounds need to be loaded in from the bottom though.

Either way will work, might just take your smith a little time to get them to cycle on an internal box. That's not anything out of the ordinary though as a lot of internal boxes need some tweaking for smooth cycling of all the rounds.

Im building this with a short action. But, you bring up a good point. I should order my stock with an M5 inlet and then I try out both and see what works. I forgot about Hawkins M5 BDL floorplate. Thanks for the input!

I think you'll have no issues getting it to feed from a Wyatts 6.5 prc internal box. And if you do some tweaking of the box should sort it out. And if you're not happy with that they will feed just like out of a detachable magazine with a Wyatts center feed internal box.

My 6.5 prc feeds well from the 3" Wyatt's center feed magazine box. I load it upside down by dropping the flour or plate and inserting the cases from the bottom. Unless you have an extended depth floor plate you will probably only fit two rounds in the box magazine.