6.5 prc enough gun for elk

Yea the property bumps up into public hunting unit he said you can walk into the unit from his property which I hope is far from public access… I forget the area think it was steamboat or hayden
IMG_3400.jpeg
68212109453__EE7F8CB7-6AD6-4DEE-85A3-8169A58B1495.jpeg
IMG_5559.jpeg
0E677B86-DF8C-4570-8153-3C1E71F54B66.jpeg
Said 6.5 prc in first picture… Hawaiian Axis deer I took with air gun… luckily I can get in altitude training at around 8-9k elevation here ..

I have a 6.5 SS and shoot a 122gr Cayuga at 3400fps. I have killed a couple cow elk with this combo out to 548yards. I live in elk country so I have a that going for me on taking a shot. If I were traveling for a once in a lifetime hunt had the means I'd build a bigger caliber rifle.....maybe even just get a 300wsm barrel for your current rifle.

Last edited:
I think this is a pretty simple question that the OP can answer by asking himself if he is willing and capable to spend the money on a larger caliber (.30 Caliber)?

1. If not, then get good with your 6.5 PRC and go hunt and don't look back!
2. If you are willing and capable to get another rifle, which from reading your posts, it appears you are all for getting something bigger, then I personally think you are crazy not to get a .30 Cal.

For me, it really wouldn't be a question of "will the 6.5 PRC kill an elk" - it is more a question of what caliber and rifle will give me the BEST chance at a successful harvest. If I am spending all the money and time to go on an elk hunt, especially living out of state, I personally would never go elk hunting with anything smaller than a .30 Caliber. I am not making this post to bash the 6.5 PRC by any means - it is an amazing caliber - but for me, I have done extensive research and talked to many elk guides / ranch managers and they are all in agreement that a 30 Cal is best for elk.

Easy choice for me.

Last edited:
Ok the largest caliber I now own is 6.5prc … considering doing an elk hunt for the first time . Would I be better suited doing a 7prc or possibly even 300prc … I've never left the Hawaiian islands to hunt before so I'm thinking a 300prc might be a bit much on axis deer and pigs after… I chosen those calibers due to inherent accuracy of cartridges, I'll be using factory ammo as supplies for reloading suck here. Thanks
Use a good bullet and place it well. Elk are tough, but if you wait for a good shot and use a good bullet they will fall.

I have only ever really hunted cow elk, but I have started moving from less tough bullets to tougher bullets especially since I have started hunting country that can be thicker vegetation. Even with good shots elk can run, and if they get in the weeds having a tougher bullet that creates an exit wound helps with a blood trail.

I have shot most of my cows with .257 or 6.5 cal Berger bullets until my last hunt when I used a 30 cal Barnes TTSX. I am starting to switch back to the heavier bullets in heavier calibers camp, but it isn't a requirement. My group killed 3 cow elk last hunt. The first was a big cow with 6.5x55 and 135gr Berger Classic Hunter, not a big tough bullet, but it was a clean double lung. Thankfully the Berger created an exit wound which they normally haven't from my experience, because the cow ran in some thick stuff and even with some blood trail it took a little while to find her. The next 2 were shot with Barnes TTSX 165 and 168gr. The first was a 308 win, and that cow dropped like a stone. The 2nd was a 300 weatherby mag and that cow ran 40yards or so.

The longest kill I have on a cow elk though is only about 270 yards and was with the smallest bullet I have used which was a 257 weatherby mag and Berger 115gr HVLD. She went 40 yards. I did shoot her twice, but to me if an elk is standing I am going to keep shooting. The first shot was a clean double lung, she would have fallen, but if she ran it would have been harder to get her out.

Use a good bullet and place it well. Elk are tough, but if you wait for a good shot and use a good bullet they will fall.

I have only ever really hunted cow elk, but I have started moving from less tough bullets to tougher bullets especially since I have started hunting country that can be thicker vegetation. Even with good shots elk can run, and if they get in the weeds having a tougher bullet that creates an exit wound helps with a blood trail.

I have shot most of my cows with .257 or 6.5 cal Berger bullets until my last hunt when I used a 30 cal Barnes TTSX. I am starting to switch back to the heavier bullets in heavier calibers camp, but it isn't a requirement. My group killed 3 cow elk last hunt. The first was a big cow with 6.5x55 and 135gr Berger Classic Hunter, not a big tough bullet, but it was a clean double lung. Thankfully the Berger created an exit wound which they normally haven't from my experience, because the cow ran in some thick stuff and even with some blood trail it took a little while to find her. The next 2 were shot with Barnes TTSX 165 and 168gr. The first was a 308 win, and that cow dropped like a stone. The 2nd was a 300 weatherby mag and that cow ran 40yards or so.

The longest kill I have on a cow elk though is only about 270 yards and was with the smallest bullet I have used which was a 257 weatherby mag and Berger 115gr HVLD. She went 40 yards. I did shoot her twice, but to me if an elk is standing I am going to keep shooting. The first shot was a clean double lung, she would have fallen, but if she ran it would have been harder to get her out.
I have never had an issue with the 168 TTSX from a 300 WSM No cow went more than 10 Ft. I have only taken one 6X6 bull with them and he dropped on the spot.

**** a part of me was secretly wanting everyone to say go bigger 🤣

Go bigger! Now that I said that- I'm going elk hunting this November for my first time and probably going to use 6.8 Western with 156gr Hammer Hunter. Very similar ballistics to 6.5 PRC. Even if you buy 30 cal you could still use the 6.5.

I do have a 300 PRC that shoots 199gr HH sub MOA; and I have a 280AI which also shoots good. They are both very light rifles though and my 6.8 W being heavier will give me more stability. My hunt is not likely to have me carrying a rifle too many miles.

Ok the largest caliber I now own is 6.5prc … considering doing an elk hunt for the first time . Would I be better suited doing a 7prc or possibly even 300prc … I've never left the Hawaiian islands to hunt before so I'm thinking a 300prc might be a bit much on axis deer and pigs after… I chosen those calibers due to inherent accuracy of cartridges, I'll be using factory ammo as supplies for reloading suck here. Thanks

Pretty similar ballistics to the .264 WM…..which is a pretty respected elk cartridge. Today's bullets (not fragile bullets) have only improved all cartridges.

Thin skinned (thin jackets) bullets are great when carefully placed, avoiding heavy bone or steeply angled (raking) shots are avoided. If it's my out of state (possibly my only elk hunt)…..I don't want my shots restricted by bullet design/composition!

The 6.5/.264's aren't my first choice for an elk cartridge…..but, your cartridge should do just fine! memtb