6.5 prc enough gun for elk

Not that theres anything wrong with buying another rifle :)

Your initial post led me to believe you wouldnt have much practical application for a larger caliber back home. But wahtever you decide the real answer to your question is the 6.5prc is plenty for elk.
You said 7prc right lol I was gonna use your replies as an excuse to show the wife why I needed this haha..

Too big of a risk for projectile exploding on bigger bones in that area with smaller grain weight Bullets. Not all shots are perfect. I don't like chasing wounded animals.
I've taken elk with lighter bullets so my experience is different. I do think somewhere theres a line on appropriate caliber for elk but I dont see how the 6.5prc is lacking. Theres no guarantee a bigger bullet wouldnt explode either. Certainly an appropriate projectile for elk is important in any caliber.

I've taken elk with lighter bullets so my experience is different. I do think somewhere theres a line on appropriate caliber for elk but I dont see how the 6.5prc is lacking. Theres no guarantee a bigger bullet wouldnt explode either. Certainly an appropriate projectile for elk is important in any caliber.
As you mentioned that your experience is different as mine. Thus, different confidence levels. Good day.

I don't shoot elks but know some people who do. They shoot the elks with .260 AI's & 6.5-06's using the Barnes 127 LRX plastic tip bullet & restrict max ranges to 400 yards. The solid copper 127 Barnes LRX is able to penetrate thru about 3 feet of an elk. A broadside hit at over 2200 fps turns the lung cavity into red glop. A diagonal shot gets thru bones & whatever to inflict trauma on critical organs. Momentary death is assured.

Then there is the Taylor Incapacitation Factor.

multiply the mass of the bullet (in grains) by the velocity of the bullet (in feet per second) and its diameter (in inches). Then divide the result by 7000

This would favor .30 caliber heavy 220 grain bullets. The Taylor stuff was made up before high vel solid copper bullets.

Also, to be considered:

Hydrostatic shock.

I once knew this guy who shot elks in heavy timber at close ranges. Weapon of choice was a .338 WM with 225 or heavier bullets. His elk stories made me think the elks were bullet proof. Elks are not considered to be "dangerous game".

My opinion is it will depend on the area you intend to hunt. For me, it's a strategy of bullet construction, energy, and distance. A tough bullet (LRX/TTSX/etc) will be superior for bone penetration and odd angle shots, but more limited in distance and broadside quick kills (my opinion and a general statement, not saying they aren't capable of DRT broadside). A soft bullet will allow for greater range and better DRT performance, but be a limiting factor for bone/odd angle shots.

I believe bigger calibers allow for more crossover in my generalities I provided above. So a 7PRC or 300PRC will be more flexible, forgiving, and successful (though it's way too difficult to scientifically verify this in the field, so it's just my opinion).

A 6.5PRC will work, but I would suggest going with a 7PRC because it will work better and in more challenging scenarios. I mean, how much are you going to spend on this hunt (rhetorical)? Travel, food, lodging, permit, guide(?), etc. I bet the cost of that new rifle won't seem so bad, and if really necessary probably wouldn't be hard to resell at minimal loss.

Good luck

Recent Posts