6.5 PRC Custom Build Advice

I'll be taking possession of a custom built 6.5 PRC. The action is a Deviant GA Hunter, from Defiance. I went with a short action because my thinking was, "a cartridge like this was designed to give a short action rifle a little more punch in a lighter weight action".

If a person is using a long action, then why use a short magnum cartridge, why not just use the 300 PRC and have the barrel chambered accordingly. My builder did say they slightly modify the SA to work flawlessly with the 6.5 PRC. I'll let you know. 🙏

If you go with the XM action, then the Sherman max is the way to go. Well over 3200' with a 156.
Rich has this been tested? I just sold my 6.5 saum and I'll be needing something else in high vo 6.5 that has more than 1k rounds barrel life.

Rich has this been tested? I just sold my 6.5 saum and I'll be needing something else in high vo 6.5 that has more than 1k rounds barrel life.
In the 7 max it has and comparisons made to the 7ss so I feel 3200+ is a legit estimate. Reamer here any time and brass very soon. Dies are out a little ways but 7 max could be bushed down or just use ss dies.

In the 7 max it has and comparisons made to the 7ss so I feel 3200+ is a legit estimate. Reamer here any time and brass very soon. Dies are out a little ways but 7 max could be bushed down or just use ss dies.
That's why I'm so curious, I already have 7max dies.

This is my current predicament as well. I was initially sold on the 6.5 PRC but have already come to grips with the fact that you are leaving performance on the table by putting it in a short action ... why Hornady did this is beyond me, especially for a cartridge with so much potential.

I'm set on a short action build so that puts the 6.5 SS as my top choice if I want to stay with a 6.5 in a mag case, which I do. I already hand load so no problems there, my only hang up is that this will be a hunting rifle and I'm just not quite sold yet on not having factory ammo available if I had to have it. My current plan is a switch barrel rig on the Terminus Zeus action running 6.5 SS / 300 SS hunting barrels, with a .223 trainer barrel on the side ... likely more cartridges/ barrels down the road.

I guess I am pretty set on the 6.5 PRC and have heard nothing but great things performance and ballistically, are you suggesting another caliber?
Then stick with it!! its a great little round ...easy to load for, dies from every manufacturer are everywhere tons of load data , easy on brass runs 140gr 3050fps with little trouble , it has readily available factory ammo and most custom ammo makers build for it. get an XM length action, this will allow you to load any bullet made and not have to redline or use unicorn powders for any of it!!

Warning! This thread is more than 5 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.