6.5 Grendel Nosler Bullet Choice - Deer Hunting

I have two boxes of Gold dot unopened . 120 6.5. Will sell for what I paid plus shipping.
I appreciate the offer, but I'm not in need of any. There's another guy that might need them? I'll ask him and see if he's interested?

I am finally loading for my Grendel. PSA Upper and Stag lower. This is for deer hunting. I have in stock - 120 grain Ballistic Tip, 120 grain E-Tip and 125 grain Partition. Looking at expansion, the Ballistic Tip wins out. However, I would like a pass through for tracking, and that leaves the Partition and the E-Tip. The E-Tip takes a bit more velcoity than the Partition to open up.

Thinking the Partition is maybe the good go between? Use the Ballistic Tip for Coyotes and maybe save the E-Tip for the Creedmoor?

Any real world experience out there? Expert opinion?
I would go Etip or BT. At best your getting 2550 fps at the muzzle. So at longer 6.5 Grendel ranges, 350-400 yards for hunting, you'll want that bullet to open up. Etip has a higher bc. But under 400 yards that won't mean much.
Fun fact: The Honady 123 gr American Gunner ammo kills deer very well. They list it as target/hunting ammo. Pic was at 100 yards. For all the non reloads out there.
For steel banging try a 123 Nos CC. It's been sub moa in 3 Grendels I put together, and for a few people I suggested it to that were having trouble. One thing about the 6.5 Grendel is it will make you a better wind caller at longer ranges, 500-1000 yards.

Attachments

• FB_IMG_1542509203112.jpg
    FB_IMG_1542509203112.jpg
    127.4 KB · Views: 37
I would go Etip or BT. At best your getting 2550 fps at the muzzle. So at longer 6.5 Grendel ranges, 350-400 yards for hunting, you'll want that bullet to open up. Etip has a higher bc. But under 400 yards that won't mean much.
Fun fact: The Honady 123 gr American Gunner ammo kills deer very well. They list it as target/hunting ammo. Pic was at 100 yards. For all the non reloads out there.
For steel banging try a 123 Nos CC. It's been sub moa in 3 Grendels I put together, and for a few people I suggested it to that were having trouble. One thing about the 6.5 Grendel is it will make you a better wind caller at longer ranges, 500-1000 yards.
The E tip will be less prone to open at lower velocity.

Actually the only hard part of a Partition is the base. The exposed lead tip opens quickly and reliably even at low velocity. I've killed many whitetails with Partitions and several coyotes that showed up at my deer stands and it always opens up a bunch even on coyotes.

Pass through with a Partition has always been a guarantee for me except one end to end shot on a 145 pound mature Florida whitetail buck and that one entered his chest as he ran straight toward me and we found the base of the bullet under the hide on his right side ham.

For medium to large game the Partition is my number one choice under150 to 200yds. Farther than that and I'm looking for something with a better ballistic coefficient and accuracy.
I agree but a Grendel is starting at the muzzle slower than a lot of traditional Partition harvest impact velocities.

I am finally loading for my Grendel. PSA Upper and Stag lower. This is for deer hunting. I have in stock - 120 grain Ballistic Tip, 120 grain E-Tip and 125 grain Partition. Looking at expansion, the Ballistic Tip wins out. However, I would like a pass through for tracking, and that leaves the Partition and the E-Tip. The E-Tip takes a bit more velcoity than the Partition to open up.

Thinking the Partition is maybe the good go between? Use the Ballistic Tip for Coyotes and maybe save the E-Tip for the Creedmoor?

Any real world experience out there? Expert opinion?
Barnes 100 ttsx 33 grains 2460 running 2800 fps is my deer bomb full expansion to 2000 fps which is 300 + yards then it acts like a solid shot through 24" match grade machine Encore

Recent Posts