6.5 creedmore, 140amax, and h414?

Rem700addict

I just picked up a Savage trophy hunter xp in 6.5 creedmoor and also got a box of hornady 140amax match shells. Shot this thing for the first time today and I haven't ever been this happy with a stock factory gun ever! Now to my question, I also picked up a box of 140grn Amax's to reload, but right now I only have h414 in my supply. I was super happy with the box of factory ammo, I was just wondering if I could achieve the same results with the h414 or should I look for some h4350 or rl17? The box I bought didn't have a load recipe on it like I've heard they often do. Just curious to hear from someone who might have tried the h414 with 140grn Amax's. Also this will be a deer/target/coyote/groundhog etc. rifle, will the amax be a disappointment for deer in this particular round? Look forward to your responses, thanks.

I saw that load data and will use it for reference to build up some loads, I was mainly curious if anyone had any fist had experience with his combo?

If you can, try to get ahold of some rl-17. That stuff shoots VERY well out of my creedmoor and my dads. My load with the 140 a-max is 43 grains of rl-17 @ 2900 fps with no signs of pressure. That gets me 1/2 moa groups. H4350 works good as well but both my dad and i get better groups and velocity with the rl-17.

If you can, try to get ahold of some rl-17. That stuff shoots VERY well out of my creedmoor and my dads. My load with the 140 a-max is 43 grains of rl-17 @ 2900 fps with no signs of pressure. That gets me 1/2 moa groups. H4350 works good as well but both my dad and i get better groups and velocity with the rl-17.

That's kind of what I was thinking, I might see if I can find someone willing to trade a bottle of h1000 for rl17. Have you or your dad tried the 140 amax on any game yet?

That's kind of what I was thinking, I might see if I can find someone willing to trade a bottle of h1000 for rl17. Have you or your dad tried the 140 amax on any game yet?

Yes we have and its excellent on deer and bear. I shot a deer with the 140 a- max this year and he didnt go anywhere. My dad and sister have shot them with the a- max and they never go very far. The farthest we have had one go is 80 yards and that was a gut shot deer. I shot a 312 lb black bear with them and he went 15 yards before he dropped. Its a very effective bullet, but the 129 sst is absolutly devestating. My dad tried them this year for the first time on whitetail and i could put my fist in both holes on either side of the rib cage. After seeing what those 129 sst's did, i got some 130 berger hunting vld's to try.

Warning! This thread is more than 10 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.