6.5 creedmoor vs. 243 for distance

I've been researching this. It seems the .243 is flatter. But the 6.5 is better for killing at distance. 600 yards plus. While the .243 is good for 400 yards & under.
Just from reading a few articles on it. Not sure what the professionals think.

I wouldn't take a Ruger if you gave it to me honestly. Never heard or seen anyone having much luck with one. That Savage will shoot circles around that Ruger. Shoot a stout load of H1000 or 7828 in the .243 with a 105-107 and that will make for a deadly combo. When the .243 barrel goes south, or you get tired of it, drop a 6.5 Creed or 6.5x47 Lapua barrel into it.
Jud and Dgd6mm ARE correct on this subject, the .243 Win is BETTER, for 600 to 1,000 yard Target unless,.. very Windy.
To get BETTER barrel Life, have your Gunsmith, ream it out, to 6 mm SLR ( longer Neck, 30* shoulder ) And,.. almost, 2X the bbl life, of the .243, using the slower "Colder" Powders like, H-1000, N-160 and N-165 and cleaned "properly", every 200 rounds. The Powder Burning, "Turbulence point" is further back, in the case, to accomplish this and the longer Neck + 30 * shoulder "help's" to do this. I love my .243 W. but, will go to 6mm SLR, in a few Months. Lots of Info at, 6mmar.com and accurateshooter.com Good luck with, YOUR choice !

Last edited:
Warning! This thread is more than 6 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.