6.5 CM or 260 Rem

The two choices you gave us are at the very low end for the game and distance you said. Will work but might drop that distance to 600. I would do 6.5CM just because ammo, performance is to close to worry about. If I were you I would get a .280 AI or 7RM if you want to go 800.

I had a 22-250 and loved it too. That doesnt mean it's a elk gun. Or deer for that matter. It will get the job done, but why do a 10lb sledgehammers job with a 5 lb?
Same here. Had one, and shot the barrel out of it because I liked it so much... But she ain't no elk cartridge. And IMO, not even a deer cartridge, although I did kill a few with it...Shot placement being the key to everything with only a 55gr bullet.

I had a 22-250 and loved it too. That doesnt mean it's a elk gun. Or deer for that matter. It will get the job done, but why do a 10lb sledgehammers job with a 5 lb?
I have killed several whitetail, hogs and yotes with my 22.250! Using a 80gr bullet. I won't use it on Elk and never said I would. I use the apparated tool to get a job done.

A friend of mine suggested the 69 SMK for deer and the 75 BTHP for elk and pigs.

I've killed a lot of pig with 55 fmj but that's in the brush inside of 50m most of the time, maybe out to 100m. 69 SMK on a pig out to how far? Doesn't sound smart. Doesn't sound smart on an Elk outside of 150-200 either where it's gonna start flirting with 1k ft/#s of energy.

I have killed several whitetail, hogs and yotes with my 22.250! Using a 80gr bullet. I won't use it on Elk and never said I would. I use the apparated tool to get a job done.
I said it would get the job done. It's still not ideal. A bad hit with a 22-250 doesnt give a heck of alot of room for error. Especially since he stated a range of 800 yards. Good grief that little 80 is running out of steam at 500 yards. I know a couple people that have tried them on deer and eventually gave up on them. At least up north here where the bucks can dress over 200LBS. But hey if it works good for you more power to ya. Whatever floats your boat!

CA2C988C-3DC1-491C-8D06-7A6E34CFC5A5.gif

Really y'all?

Why not a .270 Winchester. We've built a half a dozen that shoot the Berger 170gr EOL bullet at 2960fps. Tack drivers, low recoil, use it all day long on elk at 800yds. 2000fps and 1600lbs of energy at 800.

Warning! This thread is more than 5 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.