6.5 CM bushing wackiness

grinnergetter

Got one for you.

Purchased a 6.5 Whidden bushing die set using factory once fired Hornady brass.

Loaded factory round neck dia... .290
Fired round neck dia................. .296

Choose .294 and .293 Redding bushing

Run case through press and resized neck measures .280.....hmmmmm?

Get second set of Redding bushings .293 and .294

Measure neck wall thickness .012/.013

Measure bullet...VLD .263ish

Measure inside of bushing as best I can with caliper.... .293 on a .294 bushing. Using scissor of caliper so its not the best, but it's what I have.

Math works out so where is the extra .014 coming from?

Easy solution is to buy bushing that gives me the size needed but I have to ask why as I've never run into this before. Usually when this happens to me I'm doing something really stupid but I ran it past Sinclair also.

Appreciate any suggestions.

Run the fired brass through the die without a bushing and see what you get.

Run case through press and resized neck measures .280...
defective die, if done without a bushing installed. If sizing a fired case down more than .008" in one step, the neck may be smaller then what is marked on the bushing. Info on Redding website.

Loaded factory round neck dia... .290
start with a .287" bushing.

See...I knew it would be something stupid. Never gave a thought that I ordered a full length sizer die that does not use a bushing. Don't understand why Whidden makes a die that sizes the neck down that far, but whatever. I'm sure there is a reason.

Aaaand of course Sinclair is out of stock.:D

Where is the smack yourself in the head smilie?

See...I knew it would be something stupid. Never gave a thought that I ordered a full length sizer die that does not use a bushing. Don't understand why Whidden makes a die that sizes the neck down that far, but whatever. I'm sure there is a reason.

Aaaand of course Sinclair is out of stock.:D

Where is the smack yourself in the head smilie?

The whidden non bushing sizing die comes with an expandrel mandrel. In fact with the interchangable expander ball kit you can adjust your neck tension from 0 to 5 thousands

Yea, I forgot about the expander ball as I haven't used one in years. The folks at Whidden offered to swap dies for me at no charge. Cant beat that service!

Thanks for the help...much appreciated!

Warning! This thread is more than 8 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.