6.5 CM neck

mkk

What is the inside diameter of a 6.5 Creedmoor case after you have resized?

My RCBS die set squeezes them down to .250 and they are dang near impossible to pull back through the expander.

Should I just run without the expander ball?

My RCBS die set squeezes them down to .250 and they are dang near impossible to pull back through the expander.

Throw those Dies away and BUY,.. Forster Dies !
END of "Problems" and you will have,.. a much "Tighter", TIR on Bullet for,.. better Accuracy.
I've Junked almost all, of, my "other" Dies,.. OR, at least, REPLACED ALL, the Sizer's in other, sets !
Thank me, later !

Last edited:

I must ask a couple of questions. With the inside outside .250 what does the outside measure? What does the neck of a loaded round measure? and finally, how many firings on the brass?

The short answer is about 0.262".

The long answer involves a whole lot more things are are probably irrelevant if your ID after resizing is really .250". IMO that sounds like a very tight die - the equivalent of using a .280" bushing with decent brass. I use a .289 currently.

+1 on the Forster.....plus I had it reamed to the neck O.D. I wanted.....my neck size mandrel does very little, but I still use it...rsbhunter

How do you know the ID is 0.250"? Pin gages? Another way?

What it the average of 3 OD measurements with a micrometer that is centered on the neck length? Both sized and loaded round.

On the I.D , even using a calipers jaw's, the measurements shouldn't be off by more than .004-.005.. I would think that the maximum i.d. should be no less than .260. That would give .004 tension/interference fit. Of course the intended purpose of the rounds dictate what amount of neck tension is prudent....magazine fed, semi auto use or F-class or BR use. I also believe that the weight of the projectile in a mag fed or semi auto plays a big part in the possibility of set back of the projectile....rsbhunter

Ruffian wrote:

"0.250 for real ??????? you have the wrong expander button on the die !!!!!"

I thought the same thing, but then he said it took a lot of effort to pull the expander button out of the case.

It sounds to me as if he has the wrong dies! Maybe a 6mm Creedmoor?

In any case, he's resolving the problem by buying a new die. That should fix things.

Sounds like you have a FL die bored to .250 for the .25 Creedmoor. Simply measure the expander button to see if it measures .262 for the 6.5 Creedmoor, either way the die aint right for a 6.5 Creedmoor. My 6.5 Creed FL die neck bore measures .281 plus a couple thousands of an inch and the expander button measures .2622 .

Recent Posts