6.5 CM

koonazz

I'm at the very beginning stages of load development with a 6.5 creedmoor. The rifle has a detachable magazine that will allow a load length of 2.860". After doing my max oal measuring, the max oacl for this rifle and the 140 gr bullets I chose is 1.100" longer than the magazine would allow. Hell its nearly an inch longer than the case with the bullet barely touching the neck much less seated. Has anyone encountered a 6.5 creedmoor with this long of a throat?

I guess I am not understanding what you are saying, you mentioned the magazine is 2.86 and you are saying you have 1.1 inch of freebore?? You are measuring 3.96 for a COAL?? Are you sure you are measuring this correctly? Are you using the Hornady guage or are you using the Alex Wheeler method to find the length to the Lands?

Yessir. 1.10" to the lands longer than mag will allow. Used the hornady guage first. Thought I was screwing up so I broke out the measuring rod and pencil and did it old school. Same results. This is a brand new rifle.

Mossberg Patriot. Does'nt belong to me and I'm not sure what to tell the owner (relative). I've never encountered a firearm with this much freebore. Gotta be a factory mistake huh?

The story goes that he could'nt get any factory ammo to shoot worth a **** in this gun. Pretty sure I know why.

With that much freebore I am not surprised, I thought I had wrote it down, but just checked my notes, but I didn't, I am using Berger 140 gr EOL, my AICS mag length is 2.867", max length a bullet would fit in the mag. However, in my rifle, you cannot feed the action with that length, the tip of the bullets will hang on the action feed ramp. The magazine follower is 2.84, I have to run the 140's at 2.810 so they can feed without hanging on the action ramp.

I believe I'm gonna tell him I don't feel comfortable loading for it as it is now. I don't know all the different problems that could develop from that much freebore. Gas escaping around the bullet, major throat erosion, bullet cavitating before entering the bore, I just don't know enough to feel comfortable loading for this gun.

Warning! This thread is more than 4 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.