6.5 CM Accubonds or ELD-X

So to answer OP question the accubond is a better moose bullet than Edlx. It will hold together and penetrate better which is important on a big animal likes moose. You want to penetrate both lungs.

And for all those that say the 6.5 ( creed, Swede ect.) is not enough for moose. Let me explain the difference when you shoot a moose or an elk with a 6.5 and a 300 mag thru the lungs. With the 6.5 The moose -will Last 30 seconds to a minute and fall over dead. With the 300 mag it will last 30 second to a minute and fall over dead. During this time one should shoot it again because it's still standing but it will still die in the same amount of time.

I witness or pulled The trigger on semi loads of elk and big game and the placement and bullet construction is more important than the cartridge that propels it.

Now if your a front shoulder shooter and want to plant them where they stand the bigger 200 ++ gr bullets out of magnums have an definite advantage.

If you can't place bullet in the lung area on a moose, cartridge selection is the least of your problem.

I have shot moose and talk from experience my 308 dropped a 940lb bull in his tracks with a center chest facing shot and what was left was located in the hindquarter. A 308 nosler partition and it penetrated over 5' of moose. Would I use a 6.5CM to shoot a moose? No, don't own one but wouldn't hesitate at all to slide a 140AB/partition in one from my 260, 6.5mm are deep penetrators and will do the job fine with a sturdy bullet. My son was hunting with me when I shot my bull and he was using a 7mm-08 with 140 paritions, if he would have seen it first it would have fell to him. A good deep penetrating shot in the right place beats a full magazine of magnums shot poorly or using the wrong bullets. My experience......

I started to think about this a little more. That 220 ELDX bullet that I hit the deer with opened up very fast. I think it was due to hitting one of the father back rib bones at impact. I somewhat forgot to hold for the wind, low light but still a very doable shot. I don't remember the exit or if it did exit. I did not find the bullet. Now talking about using light bullets on larger game. My wife shot her mule deer at 292ish yards with an 87 grain VLD that the load was pretty anemic for the light bullet but it was found in the off side between the hide and a little bit of the mask white skin. It pretreated through the left shoulder after going through the right side rib cage. The load only had about 1000fp of energy but it did the job jut fine. Deer took 1 lunge forward and dropped in its tracks. This was a Utah Mule deer above average body weight and was in great condition. Well that what they told us at the check point station. We had him mounted and made lots of good deer burgers and sausage.

On another note I have never eaten moose but I hear its the best out of your north American deer species.

Warning! This thread is more than 4 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.