6.5-300 Weatherby?

MTGunner

Seems everyone is getting into the 6.5,.264, speed business. Has anyone had a chance to try this cartridge? They are claiming 3500 plus with factory ammo. Interesting. MTG

I have one. There is no factory ammo up here in Canada yet though as it has not be approved. I have heard of people shooting over 3500fps with the 127gr LRX factory ammo.
I have only been able to hand load for it so far, and have not shot through a chrony yet.

I have no doubt it'll shoot 3500+ without any problem, I have no doubt it would be about as flat shooting as a rifle cartridge could ever be. I have no doubt it's as over bore as you can get. I have no doubt that once you sight it in at 200 yards you'd better just take it out of the safe for big game hunting only , this is not going to be a let's go shoot our rifles cartridge !!lightbulb

I have no doubt it'll shoot 3500+ without any problem, I have no doubt it would be about as flat shooting as a rifle cartridge could ever be. I have no doubt it's as over bore as you can get. I have no doubt that once you sight it in at 200 yards you'd better just take it out of the safe for big game hunting only , this is not going to be a let's go shoot our rifles cartridge !!lightbulb

That is exactly my plan Frank!!
after a 3 shot group you can actually fry an egg on the barrel!!

I believe that in an attempt to out run all the competition that all the ammunition and firearms manufacturers are ramping up ideas to make the fastest 6.5 on the market regardless of actual practical use. Lets face it, the market is looking for a cartridge that will enable the sport to shoot an animal at long distance and not actually have to hunt them. Is the sport of hunting dead? Has it become merely a blood sport for the sake of competition to be able to brag about how far an animal has been taken? How many wounded animals will be lost to poor shooting?
I have explored the long range game to a minor degree. My talents in this are minimal. Yet, I do enjoy the stalk, the pursuit, the give and take. Perhaps I am out of touch and think this is merely merchandising for the purpose of selling new ideas. Oh well, won't be buying it or any other. MTG

I believe that in an attempt to out run all the competition that all the ammunition and firearms manufacturers are ramping up ideas to make the fastest 6.5 on the market regardless of actual practical use. Lets face it, the market is looking for a cartridge that will enable the sport to shoot an animal at long distance and not actually have to hunt them. Is the sport of hunting dead? Has it become merely a blood sport for the sake of competition to be able to brag about how far an animal has been taken? How many wounded animals will be lost to poor shooting?
I have explored the long range game to a minor degree. My talents in this are minimal. Yet, I do enjoy the stalk, the pursuit, the give and take. Perhaps I am out of touch and think this is merely merchandising for the purpose of selling new ideas. Oh well, won't be buying it or any other. MTG

Is this a long range hunting site? Actually I believe it is.

Is this a long range hunting site? Actually I believe it is.

Thanks for reminding the poster what kind of site this is. Some folks jut don't get it.

I bet if he could somehow do a study he would discover way more animals are wounded at close range than long range. Do a little thinking. How many inches is three MOA at 600 yards? If a guy buys a new Weatherby 6.5, sticks a Nightforce on it, bore sights it, grabs a couple boxes of ammo, what are the chances of him wounding an animal at long range? Near zero!

Now have the same guy shoot at a deer at 100 yards. If it does not bang flop he thinks he missed and goes off and finds another.

This may be a long range hunting site...but actual hunting/ stalking takes a hit. BTW, this is an opinion only. No need to get your hackles up. Chill. MTG

Thanks for reminding the poster what kind of site this is. Some folks jut don't get it.

I bet if he could somehow do a study he would discover way more animals are wounded at close range than long range. Do a little thinking. How many inches is three MOA at 600 yards? If a guy buys a new Weatherby 6.5, sticks a Nightforce on it, bore sights it, grabs a couple boxes of ammo, what are the chances of him wounding an animal at long range? Near zero!

Now have the same guy shoot at a deer at 100 yards. If it does not bang flop he thinks he missed and goes off and finds another.

Yep. Every year I see it at the shooting range. There aren't enough bench's to go around, because everyone pulls their rifle out a week before the hunt to sight them in. They shoot a 3-5" group at 100 yards, and say "Yep, I'm ready". Unfortunately I know a few guys like this, and all of them have stories of "I know I hit him, but I never found him".

No less time or effort goes into long range hunting than any other guy up on the mountain. In fact I believe MUCH more goes into a long range hunters preparation, than most other hunters. Most long range hunters load their own ammo, understand ballistics bullet drop and so on, and much much more. You say Minute of Angle at the gun range on any given day, and over half the people there will think you're talking about a clock or something. Lol.

Do a little thinking. How many inches is three MOA at 600 yards? If a guy buys a new Weatherby 6.5, sticks a Nightforce on it, bore sights it, grabs a couple boxes of ammo, what are the chances of him wounding an animal at long range? Near zero!

Three MOA at 600 yards is 18 inches.

This combined with various atmospheric conditions and shooting angle; high probability to wound an animal with bore sight only. Validation of the bore sight can only be confimed by actual live fire in variable atmospheric conditions.

Three MOA at 600 yards is 18 inches.

This combined with various atmospheric conditions and shooting angle; high probability to wound an animal with bore sight only. Validation of the bore sight can only be confimed by actual live fire in variable atmospheric conditions.

You're assuming the shooter's rifle is actually bore sighted where the reticle is aiming. There is a very good chance, based on years of observation, that the reticle and the bore are not pointing at the same place. Add the drop and our fictitious hunter will miss by a hundred yards or more. He will think something like, "My Weatherby is such a flat shooter I don't need to aim high clear out to 500 yards and maybe a couple inches up for 600 yards." Most of us have talked to these guys at the range or woods.

Making assumptions regarding any ones shooting history is a bit skeptical and one should never assume such without ironclad information. I have spent better than 40 yrs. at the range shooting from 50 yds. to 600yds. from the bench, prone, sitting and standing. Not all in the standing position. I have shoot prairie dogs out to 1000 yds. plus off my portable bench. Have won a few long range egg shoots back east. But, this is not hunting IMHO. It is preparation, trigger time, practice , practice and more practice. BTW, I have a safe full of long range capable rifles. My point is that.....oh heck with it, never mind! It's a moot point and not worth getting someone upset. I have been a longtime contributor to this website. I fully understand this website, its' worth and education. Good 'nuff for Weatherby to continue its' research for flat shooting 6.5 cartridges. MTG out!

Warning! This thread is more than 8 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.