6.5-300 Nosler Partition

Zak Simons

I have a friend with a 6.5-300wby which he wants to work up some loads for. He's pretty set on shooting the nosler partition. I've found plenty of data to get him started on the 125gr bullets but nothing on the 140's. How close are the min/max recommended charges for similar 140 class bullets?
I've never loaded any combo that I couldn't verify safe starting charges from the bullet/powder manufacturer. I'd also be open to hearing about other bullets choices if anyone thinks there's a better option. Mainly a new toy for mule deer. I doubt he'd shoot at anything over 450 yards.

I have a friend with a 6.5-300wby which he wants to work up some loads for. He's pretty set on shooting the nosler partition. I've found plenty of data to get him started on the 125gr bullets but nothing on the 140's. How close are the min/max recommended charges for similar 140 class bullets?
I've never loaded any combo that I couldn't verify safe starting charges from the bullet/powder manufacturer. I'd also be open to hearing about other bullets choices if anyone thinks there's a better option. Mainly a new toy for mule deer. I doubt he'd shoot at anything over 450 yards.

I would rather use an accubond for those uses. In my LIMITED experience with partitions on moose with a 300 win mag, the entrance hole was the same size as the exit with very little damage done inside. 3 hits just to get the cow moose to stop, and another through the spine to get it down. My .308 with a 168 ballistic tip however, only going a modest 2675, with same shot placement, about the same range, dropped a moose practically in his tracks, exit the size of an orange. I personally would use a 140 Berger vld or Hornady 147 eldm if I could get them to shoot well, but at that short of a range the accubond may serve him better.

I have been shooting the 130 gr Nosler Accubond out of my 264 Win Mag that has a 27 3/4" 9" twist barrel and I average 3350 fps using Retumbo powder. I have shot over 2 dozen white tail deer with this bullet and it has performed super. I have shot deer from 25 to a little past 500 yards and it reacts the same. Goes in one shoulder takes out the vitals and exits about the size of a nickel and the deer drop in their tracks or within a staggering falling down step. Only recovered one bullet shot into a buck that was almost facing me with a left shoulder angle at me that was 111 yards away. Bullet entered shoulder went the length of the buck and was found against the smashed ball joint in the right ham. It was a text book mushroom and weight was 87 grs. That bullet had to be still going around 3100 fps on impact. Accubonds are GREAT bullets.

I think you could use 26 Nosler data to get started. The case capacity of a 26 Nosler and a 6.5-300 Weatherby are real close.

The new 2018 Hodgon reloading magazine has several partition loads. You are in luck!

Warning! This thread is more than 7 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Recent Posts