6.5-284

I think that its an accurate round as its track record in the 1000yd circuts prove , I would say likely the best bang for the buck when building on the 6.5 as to much more speed in that bore realy isint gonna be at the bullets accuracy potential. Probably right at the point of being considered bad overbore , its not much faster than the 260 with the same length barrel but burns a good bit more powder.

I don't think its a good case to build on a short action unless your gonna single shot it or shoot light weight bullets.

From what I've seen with a 260 its an easy 1000yd deer caliber.

I'm in the same boat you are. (see 6.5 creedmoor)
But someone here brought up the 260 AI as an alternative to the 6.5 284. i'm looking for a nice light deer round with LR capability and I like the 6.5. I'm just wondering why the 260 AI wont burn up barrels when the 6.5 284 will do it in 1000-1500 rounds!?

Just thought I'd share this...

I recently met a fella at my local range that had a F-class benchrest rifle chambered in 7mm-284 (necked up 6.5-284). He is a competitor that shoots 3 days a week and according to him, he gets nearly the same velocities as the 6.5 but with 2 to 3 times the barrel life.

usmc0331 , your right the about getting the same velocites actualy he should be getting higher speeds with the standard 284 than the 6.5-284 if both shooting 140gr bullets ,in fact he shouyld be able to get in the 2900fps range with 160 class bullets and 2700 with the 180's , now a 180gr Berger VLD launched at 2700-2800 fps hase some very impressive ballistics especialy at 800yds and out , the 162gr Hornady A-max would be an awsome deer bullet to 1000yds launched at 2800+fps. and using the better 6.5-284 Lapua brass and necking it up would make it even better than using the old winchester stuff. Not to sure he would be 3x's the barrel life but very likely 2x

But the question was about the 6.5-284.
So If you have the 6.5 barrel already
you just want a 6.5 caliber
or what ever reason you have then the 6.5-284 is a good round

If you don't have anything or any specific wants then maybe tell what it is that your wanting to get from a new round?

Just thought I'd share this...
7mm-284 (necked up 6.5-284).

Necked up or Down? Afterall the 6.5mm is smaller than 7mm.

BTW I am a big fan of the 6.5x284. I was lucky enough to shoot my first every anything at 1000 yards this past Aug./Sept.. I shot in the IBS Nationals at Quantico, Va. and had a blast. I shot a friends rifle and did better than expected. My first group ever was bad at 16.5 inches but I did redeem myself. My 2nd group was 7.7 inches and my 3rd was 4.9 inches 4.9 inches from a rookie, proved to me that the 6.5x284 is an accurate caliber. With it's accracy the 6.5 should be one heck of a hunting round.

Mike Alford

Mike Alford

Last edited:
I should say "expanded". All the case dimensions were the same except for the case neck/ bore diameter.

Sendero Man

Thoughts as to hunting? targert or everything?

Like stated proven track record at 1k and better in a LA. My first was a SA and was single shot also had to pull the bolt to remove a live cartridge.

Light recoil and flat trajectory, great brass, good selection of bullets.

I use mine for everything target (g-hog matches) Deer and live G-hogs.

If you want a little less the 260 is nice but the 6.5-47 is looking real good
S/a Lapua Brass and quickly makeing a name.

Warning! This thread is more than 17 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.