6.5-284 reloading Dilemma Regarding H4350 Max Loads

A long action definitely makes a huge difference. Mine was built on one, and I have a 7x57 built on one that turns that little round into quite a little deer puncher out to at least 500; that's as far as I've shot one anyway. I'm not finding much data for H4350 in any of the manuals I have. Hope you get it figured out.

It also depends on the bearing surface length of the bullet and how far it is seated in the case. Just because it is a lighter bullet, does not mean that it automatically has a shorter bearing surface length. pick a reasonable starting load and work your way up as with any other load development. Use basic reloading techniques and Be Safe! If you have cartridges that are loaded over pressure while working up, Stop! Take them home and pull the bullets.

It also depends on the bearing surface length of the bullet and how far it is seated in the case. Just because it is a lighter bullet, does not mean that it automatically has a shorter bearing surface length. pick a reasonable starting load and work your way up as with any other load development. Use basic reloading techniques and Be Safe! If you have cartridges that are loaded over pressure while working up, Stop! Take them home and pull the bullets.
Truth! If you ever see or hear of a catastrophic failure you will know why any sign of pressure is time to back up. Some folks don't get a second chance. People think it will never happen to me, and that is an insane mindset when it comes to reloading safety. Best advice an older reloader gave me was if you want more than the cartridge is made for, move up a cartridge, don't push the envelope. I saw a CZ rifle after a drastic overpressure, and it ruined the rifle and almost killed two people, it blew parts of the bolt backward and they were never recovered. No one knows where they went.

Most book data for my 6.5-284 Norma is wrong. The 6.5-284 was originally a short action. Once it started being chambered in a long action, it could take more powder and performed better. Most all book data is for the short action to be on the safe side. I have the long action variant and use H1000 with 156 Bergers. I am certainly over the book max and not even close to pressure. I'd keep working your load til you find pressure.

I am use the 125 HHT for a 6.5 PRC. I'm using RL23 with them. Average of 3063 fps and got a 0.4 moa group at 400 yards on the 19th firing of the rifle. Certainly good for such little tinkering and poor shooting conditions. Trying to put one in an elk in a few weeks
Where did you find the RL23. Its like pixie dust here in Montana.......

Attempting to establish some basic numbers for a ladder test for my 6.5-284 Norma using H4350 and Hammer 125HHT's. Using load data from the lyman book puts the max at approximately 47.6, using 125 gr. bullet. I reviewed data posted here with people using 140 grain bullets and 47-48 grains of H4350 powder. Hammer load data states a max load of 40.6 using a 131 grain bullet and another post lists a max load of 53.4 using the 125gr HHT. The 40.6 load using a 131 grain bullet seems far to low to be a Max. load, while the 53.4 load using a 125 grain bullet sounds to be beyond max. What's your position?
I must be blind, I do not see those loads posted on the Hammer site for the 6.5X 284 cartridge!!

I must be blind, I do not see those loads posted on the Hammer site for the 6.5X 284 cartridge!!
I sent an email to Steve at Hammer; someone changed the numbers from 40.6gr of H4350 to 41.5. What also doesn't make sense it they state fps at 3183 when at the same time another shooter (Data info from Accurate Shooter) using the 125gr hammer HHT using 53.4gr of H4350 reports fps at 3102. How can you use 12gr less powder with a heavier bullet and get 84 more fps? Lyman's 51st edition indicates that 130gr bullet using 46gr of H4350 will produce 2787 fps. You can't use 6gr less powder and obtain more than 400fps velocity. I suggest that using 41.5 grains of H4350 pushing a 131gr bullet, you'll be lucky to break 2500 fps.

Last edited:
I sent an email to Steve at Hammer; someone changed the numbers from 40.6gr of H4350 to 41.5. What also doesn't make sense it they state fps at 3183 when at the same time another shooter (Data info from Accurate Shooter) using the 125gr hammer HHT using 53.4gr of H4350 reports fps at 3102. How can you use 12gr less powder with a heavier bullet and get 84 more fps?
Call Mr. Steve , he will more than likely be the person who answers the phone

Attempting to establish some basic numbers for a ladder test for my 6.5-284 Norma using H4350 and Hammer 125HHT's. Using load data from the lyman book puts the max at approximately 47.6, using 125 gr. bullet. I reviewed data posted here with people using 140 grain bullets and 47-48 grains of H4350 powder. Hammer load data states a max load of 40.6 using a 131 grain bullet and another post lists a max load of 53.4 using the 125gr HHT. The 40.6 load using a 131 grain bullet seems far to low to be a Max. load, while the 53.4 load using a 125 grain bullet sounds to be beyond max. What's your position?
The first thing to know about hammer load data is that none of it is tested with any pressure measurements. It's just a compilation from the forum. I have found a very significant portion of it to be total bull-s***. Many of the loads listed are wildly over pressure.

The claims surrounding the Absolute Hammer line are also largely bull-s***. It is true that you get more velocity but it's more in the neighborhood of 50-75 fps from my experience. Not really worth the loss in bc…..

It is however useful as a starting point.

Lyman's data will be much more accurate. Barnes is a little aggressive but probably the best regarding mono bullets (no surprise). It's also free online.

The first thing to know about hammer load data is that none of it is tested with any pressure measurements. It's just a compilation from the forum. I have found a very significant portion of it to be total bull-s***. Many of the loads listed are wildly over pressure.

The claims surrounding the Absolute Hammer line are also largely bull-s***. It is true that you get more velocity but it's more in the neighborhood of 50-75 fps from my experience. Not really worth the loss in bc…..

Lyman's data will be much more accurate. Barnes is a little aggressive but probably the best regarding mono bullets (no surprise). It's also free online.
How many Hammer and types of bullets have you run over the Chrony Sir . I have run many Hammers and no offense intended to you Sir ,but I am afraid that you Sir are full of BULL S**t , Sir. JMHO
Have a nice day!

Lyman's data will be much more accurate. Barnes is a little aggressive but probably the best regarding mono bullets (no surprise). It's also free onlin
I think you're total BS. Your Avatar is real groovy. Sorry C.O. Shooter . Sometimes I can't hold back.

Whats your twist ?? If it's 7 to7 1/2 go to 4831 sc and Berger 140 hunting VLD Start at 50 gr and go up from their should look in Berger book I could not get H4350 to work at all would not get a load to go MOA . But H4831sc would.

Whats your twist ?? If it's 7 to7 1/2 go to 4831 sc and Berger 140 hunting VLD Start at 50 gr and go up from their should look in Berger book I could not get H4350 to work at all would not get a load to go MOA . But H4831sc would.
Sorry, I should have mentioned twist, it's a 1-8 twist.