.284 Win reloading for max barrel life

Viking264

Hello All,
I'm a long time visitor to the site; have learned a tremendous amount from many of the threads. I've registered to ask a question re: reloading for .284 Winchester. I've done a lot of looking around the web, but haven't been able to find information regarding loading for maximum barrel life.

I'm installing a Criterion barrel on a Savage 110 action, with the intention of reloading for it. This is being put together as a short-range (<300 m) target and hunting platform. Assuming a sound cleaning regimen, is there a pressure range that I should stay within to keep throat erosion down? I will be starting reloading with Hornady 162 ELD and Barnes 171 HPBT, and expect to be hunting with Barnes 140 TTSX, if any of that is relevant to the replies.

Thanks!

Like the man said, load to 7-08 power levels and you'll help yourself in reaching that goal of improved barrel life. The amount of powder you burn and the pressures you reach will have a direct effect on barrel life. Another tip, don't clean it so often as you might think you should or have been taught or will get told. In the matches I shoot (3 different disciplines) you won't find competitors cleaning until their groups open up. Cleaning wears a bore too. Don't shoot it hot when you're target shooting. Let it cool.

Beyond that, don't worry too much about it. For most guys it'll take a lifetime to burn a pipe. If you're nice to it like described above you should get an easy 2000 rounds from it running full power loads. If you're willing to chase the lands a bit you can go a bit further. 2K rounds is a ton of ammo. Run it at 7-08 levels and you might double your useful barrel life.

In the end you pay for velocity with barrel life.

You might want to try to use powders that are bulkier to fill the case as much as you can for your target velocity! Imr stick powders should give you good density!

Their right, just tone her down a few grains is about all you can do with any cartridge, but if this is a purely big game rifle that is in use in the fall why bother. How many shots are you going to shoot every year year. Even if you shoot 20 a year that barrel will last decades even at full power...but if it's going to be a daily banger that's another story.

The 284 was developed in 1963 to be used in an autoloader and a lever gun. Many of the loads that are published have had these rifles in mind these loads are quite anemic for bolt actions. For years Nosler didn't even include the 284 win in their loading manuals because they said the SAMMI OAL of 2.8'' had the ogive past the case mouth.

When this cartridge first came out Bob Hutton took the 284 and talked very highly of it. His pet load was a 140 partition with 57 or even 58 grs of IMR 4350 for a velocity of approx. 3050 fps

I have used a 140 Sierra with 57 grs of IMR 4350 as my accuracy test load. I has never failed to give 1/4 MOA with three barrels on my old M77.

IMO the powders that work best in the 284 win are the aforementioned IMR 4350, H4350 which fits better and is considered more temperature stable and for high velocity RL-17.

It is entirely up to you what velocity you want to use.

As for brass, I would get some of the new Norma 284 brass made exclusively for Bullets.com. It is available and supposed to be long lasting and very uniform:

Norma to Make 6mm Dasher and .284 Win Brass for Bullets.com « Daily Bulletin

Thank you all. I'm not trying to load for max velocity; actually, I expect to be shooting the 162's more than anything else to try and match the MV of my 6.5x55 rifles loaded with a bullet of identical BC. There's only so fast that I am interested in pushing them. ~2,925 fps is the ceiling; likely, it will be 50 - 75 fps slower. As it happens, the .264 140-grain ELD has the same BC as Hornady's .284 162-grain match bullet. Same sectional density, also. I look at the .284 Win as kind of a hybrid between the 6.5x55 and 7.5x55, another favorite military cartridge.

I would anticipate putting a total of 400 rounds or less through the barrel each year. Maybe 25% of that number will be with the 171. I have a lot of old 7x57 ammo loaded with 140-grain FMJ that I plan on pulling and loading for the .284; just something light and fun to plink with. The 140 TTSX is for hunting, only, and I don't need them to be screaming at the ranges that I hunt. In all cases, QL is showing the calculated pressures for the "target" MV to be <60K PSI.

I have some H4350, so will work up loads with that. QL has pointed me in the direction of Reloader 26 for both the .248 and the 6.5x55, however finding that powder in stock has been impossible. Same goes for Reloader 17, though that is really only relevant to the .284.

I am using the Norma brass, btw. Will likely order another box of it soon, in anticipation of the price going back up to "normal". It's been offered at a sale price for a while.

Thanks again!

Hello All,
I'm a long time visitor to the site; have learned a tremendous amount from many of the threads. I've registered to ask a question re: reloading for .284 Winchester. I've done a lot of looking around the web, but haven't been able to find information regarding loading for maximum barrel life.

I'm installing a Criterion barrel on a Savage 110 action, with the intention of reloading for it. This is being put together as a short-range (<300 m) target and hunting platform. Assuming a sound cleaning regimen, is there a pressure range that I should stay within to keep throat erosion down? I will be starting reloading with Hornady 162 ELD and Barnes 171 HPBT, and expect to be hunting with Barnes 140 TTSX, if any of that is relevant to the replies.

Thanks!

One of my hunting rifles is 284 build long action so my OAL can be around 3.200" depending on what bullet I use.

With the 160gr AB my accuracy velocity is 2983fps with 52.5gr /R-17. I have tried the 168gr/180gr Berger VLD's using H-4831ssc.

When Barnes came out with 145gr LRX bullet I called them and got load using R-17. I was out yesterday trying the 162gr ELD-X hunting bullet with R-17.

When I had 284 build also had 280AI build and gunsmith used same barrels for both and length.

.284 Win Tactical Hunter

Well good luck

Figured I'd ask one more question, since those of you who have replied to my initial inquiry clearly have experience in reloading for this cartridge.

Earlier, I made reference to the Swiss 7.5x55mm. It's not uncommon for enthusiasts to neck .284 Win cases up to reload for the Swiss cartridge, as the case dimensions permit this without too much difficulty. I have looked on line, but can't see a case where someone went the other way with it. I understand that the operating pressure of the .284 Win is considerably higher than that which the 7.5x55 is typically loaded to, however the material that I have seen on proofing the Swiss cartridge is that it's taken to nearly 69K PSI.

Obviously, "brass is not brass", meaning that there would be a difference in quality and thickness between brass made by different companies, but I'm just wondering if any of you have considered taking 7.5x55mm brass (which is a lot less expensive than the .284 Win brass at present) and necking it down for the .284, the way that so many people take .284 Win brass down for 6.5-284. If one were to try this, what would it entail?

One more question for you all: Reloader 26. QL is showing impressive MV with relatively low pressure compared to H4350. Have any of you used it in this cartridge? How would you compare it to H4350 and/or H4831 (standard and/or SC).

Warning! This thread is more than 8 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.