6.5-284 Cooper

Daniel Hall

Has anyone out there got any experience with a Cooper 6.5-284? I've got two other Coopers and they both shoot great. I was just hoping to get some feedback on the gun in this caliber.

7mmpredator

Hey Daniel,

I shoot a 6.5-284 Phoenix 1 in 9 twist with 140 Bergers. I'm getting between 1/2" and 3/4" groups. According to Berger 1 in 8 would be better! I've taken an antelope and an elk in the past two years. Both with one shot right at 300 yards. The elk stumbled 2 steps and dropped. I stay closer to 1/2" groups with 142 SMKs and H4831 but the 59 grains of Retumbo and Bergers put me at 3050 fps and I wanted that for the elk. It looks like I'll be taking it back to Wy for trophy mulie this year for the trifecta!

Good luck gun)

SomeRumbum

Hey Daniel,

I shoot a 6.5-284 Phoenix 1 in 9 twist with 140 Bergers. I'm getting between 1/2" and 3/4" groups. According to Berger 1 in 8 would be better! I've taken an antelope and an elk in the past two years. Both with one shot right at 300 yards. The elk stumbled 2 steps and dropped. I stay closer to 1/2" groups with 142 SMKs and H4831 but the 59 grains of Retumbo and Bergers put me at 3050 fps and I wanted that for the elk. It looks like I'll be taking it back to Wy for trophy mulie this year for the trifecta!

Good luck gun)
7mmpredator- Do you really use 59 grains of REtumbo with 140 Bergers? What primers?

7mmpredator

Straight up 59 grains. Fed 210 primers. This is actually the "Best Of The West" 6.5-284 load. It's a "warm" load in my Cooper for sure but I only used it to have some punch for the elk hunt. I will also use it for the muley hunt to give me some reach out and touch! Interestingly I was the only one in camp that week to drop an elk with one shot, with the smallest caliber and with a single shot rifle! :D

Trending threads

Nightforce has great tracking capabilities, they are rugged, a bunch of elevation, holds zero forever, and reticles are designed for long range shooting. So if you are looking to shoot long distances constantly, then you need a scope that can take the abuse. -- gilmillan1

Culture Of Excellence At Nightforce Optics
By Len Backus

A high level of quality both in production and in service. Read More

Nightforce is such a solid combo of reticle, available elevation, glass that is good enough to shoot at the longest range you can dial. Nightforce has bullet proof construction that can handle the incidental horse rolling or some other rodeo action. -- bigngreen

Nightforce ATACR Scope Review
By Jeff Brozovich

The new NightForce ATACR is for sure a top choice for any long range shooter. Read More

The total package. Nightforce is the best I have used as far as turret feel and solid detents. I have never had one that didn't track right on and always return to zero. Nightforce NXS is the best value for everything I need. -- Broz

Nightforce Velocity 1000 Reticle Review
By Scott Shreve

I think Nightforce knocked it outta the park with this reticle! Read More

NightForce