6.5-284 Cooper

Daniel Hall

Has anyone out there got any experience with a Cooper 6.5-284? I've got two other Coopers and they both shoot great. I was just hoping to get some feedback on the gun in this caliber.

Hey Daniel,

I shoot a 6.5-284 Phoenix 1 in 9 twist with 140 Bergers. I'm getting between 1/2" and 3/4" groups. According to Berger 1 in 8 would be better! I've taken an antelope and an elk in the past two years. Both with one shot right at 300 yards. The elk stumbled 2 steps and dropped. I stay closer to 1/2" groups with 142 SMKs and H4831 but the 59 grains of Retumbo and Bergers put me at 3050 fps and I wanted that for the elk. It looks like I'll be taking it back to Wy for trophy mulie this year for the trifecta!

Good luck gun)

Hey Daniel,

I shoot a 6.5-284 Phoenix 1 in 9 twist with 140 Bergers. I'm getting between 1/2" and 3/4" groups. According to Berger 1 in 8 would be better! I've taken an antelope and an elk in the past two years. Both with one shot right at 300 yards. The elk stumbled 2 steps and dropped. I stay closer to 1/2" groups with 142 SMKs and H4831 but the 59 grains of Retumbo and Bergers put me at 3050 fps and I wanted that for the elk. It looks like I'll be taking it back to Wy for trophy mulie this year for the trifecta!

Good luck gun)

7mmpredator- Do you really use 59 grains of REtumbo with 140 Bergers? What primers?

Straight up 59 grains. Fed 210 primers. This is actually the "Best Of The West" 6.5-284 load. It's a "warm" load in my Cooper for sure but I only used it to have some punch for the elk hunt. I will also use it for the muley hunt to give me some reach out and touch! Interestingly I was the only one in camp that week to drop an elk with one shot, with the smallest caliber and with a single shot rifle! :D

Warning! This thread is more than 15 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.