6-06

TheFishBox

so I am thinking about making one of these and the place I am having make the barreled action doesn't have the reamer for this so I need to supply some loaded ammo.

My question is can I buy 30-06 bushing dies and then buy bushings to get it down to 6mm? and then to load the ammo do I have to buy a different seating die?

When I was flirting with the 6mm/06 I used a .243 Winchester sizer to neck down .30/06 cases.

I sized them in steps started with a 7/08 then .270, then .25/06 then .243, probably overkill but it worked. I used the .243 seater too best I remember , it worked well enough to fire form my cases. I think the bushing die would work just as well as the approach I took, you may need a couple of different bushings though.

Bob

Or you could buy my reamer, form/trim die, resize die, seater die, and build a 6-280.

Just a thought and maybe you've already considered this but have you thought about a 6-284? It's a whole lot easier and will save you time and money necking down whatever brass you decide on. With 6-284 all you have to do is run 6.5-284 Lapua brass thru your 6-284 full length, load it and go. The 6-06 and 6-284 have nearly identical case capacity so there is no real advantage there. It's just that with one, you'll spend more time tinkering than the other. But, if a 6-06 is really what you have your heart set on, I'm sure you'll be happy with it. Just something to think about is all. gun)

I have a bunch of 30-06 brass but I got to thinking about it and it might be easier to do 6-284 and just scrap the 06 idea.

But has anyone done this with the 06 case so I have an idea of how to do it.

Last edited:
Talk to elkaholic, he developed his own cartridge called the 6.5 Sherman. It is based off the .270 necked down. I discussed with him the possibility of doing a 6-06 imp. He likes the .270 better than the 30-06 for this because of where the shoulder is on the .270.

Last edited:
My dad uses Lapua 30-06 brass for his 6-06AI and his 6.5-06AI. If I recall he necks his 6 down in a total of 3 steps and his 6.5 in two and he turns the necks down a little in his 6 but his 6.5 is a no turn. I tease him pretty hard about how much extra time and money he has involved in his prep/loading but he always reminds me that he's retired and "free time" is something he has lots of.

Warning! This thread is more than 11 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Recent Posts