55gr vs 77gr 5.56

Use what you want. It's like the old 9mm vs .45. Better bullets now. Yes, and they make those same bullets for the .45.

Bigger isn't better. If both caliber bullets are constructed to perform at the same velocity, arrive at the same velocity, then yes the bigger bullet would probably produce a bigger wound cavity.
Rarely is that the case.
That's was specifically what stated earlier. Possibly that was missed.

You are shooting the wrong two hole bullets. I have killed a pile of hogs and I can think of lots of better bullets than a varmit bullet. Any mono would be better. Fmj suck but any mono hunting bullet or my favorite the 62gr partition is money. But no way would I trade the payload of a 6.5 Grendel for a .223.

They are a bit soft from the factory. But I've found the opposite of you. Two holes always seem to do better. If you are just removing pests. A hole all the way through is much better than a varmit round. Heck deer have run off with those if hit in the shoulder.

Do .223 work yep, cheaper yep. But are they better than a 6.5 grendel. Nope not even close. I ran my .223 for many years but it's not even in the same ballpark as a 6.5 Grendel for putting down hogs. All measurable data suggests than. Energy and speed. It simply has more behind it factory or not.

I can say that if average out for shot placement and how fast they expired the Grendel is still king.

Sure you can say cost per kill may go to the .223, but it certainly will not kill better than a 6.5 Grendel. The math behind it just doesn't work. Less bullet mass and less energy.
And as we all know not every shot can or will be a good shot. So the 6.5 gives a much larger margin of error.
So if cost is a factor sure .223 works and surprisingly well. But the 6.5 Grendel is vastly better.

That's why early I stated all things equal. If the proper bullets are chosen the bigger one going the same speed is always better. Even if just from a penetration aspect.
Didn't miss much.

My preference; which ever can go the fastest. In the neighborhood of 4000 fps targets tend to explode, even a hog hit with a varmint bullet.
"Hydrostatic shock"

Didn't miss much.
My bad must have typed it and not posted. Doesn't change the fact that bigger is better. No two ways around it. More frontal area heavier bullets all at the same speed just kill better. What it goes into also matters. But you simply can't match the Grendel with a 223. One will start out and stay ahead in every department. Each has a purpose. But for you guys to try and convince people it's every bit as good it's not. Not even close. If shooting for cheap sure it's cheaper that the only department it wins in.

My preference; which ever can go the fastest. In the neighborhood of 4000 fps targets tend to explode, even a hog hit with a varmint bullet.
"Hydrostatic shock"
Speed definitely kills but I've also had first hand experience with bullet failure on hard bone and shield do they die I'm sure they did at some point but you can't be sure. I like fast and heavy. I would take the 77gr big slow over a 55gr all day.

Snox you REALLY need to check out the link I posted. If you do, it will give you a lot more understanding why I'm so convinced the 77gr TMK will do far more than you give it credit for.

Snox you REALLY need to check out the link I posted. If you do, it will give you a lot more understanding why I'm so convinced the 77gr TMK will do far more than you give it credit for.
I have read that. And yes they work but again all things the same if the same bullet is bigger and moving at the same speed it will certainly work. I think we also need to look at when things are not perfect. While hunting things happen. Bad shots are made and sometimes the added payload helps. Now I know that people go overkill but as distance and game changes you absolutely need bigger. I'm sure I am not the only one who knows what the outcome would be if that 77gr .223 hit the shoulder socket on and elk. Same shot with something bigger say 30 cal different results.
Just no two ways around it. Is the .223 great sure and I'm not saying it isn't I just want others to be thinking it's a 300 win mag. We have enough of that with the 6.5 creedmore. Great round for sure it's my go to but it has its limits and is not a 300 win mag. Same thing here.

One rifle between all of you?
We all had our own rifles but everyone ended up giving my AR a try (one of two rifles I had along with a suppressor on it). We just got back last week from this years annual hunt and it got borrowed a bunch again and took hogs and axis deer this year.

Those 64gr BSB will stabilize in a much slower twist as they are short for the weight.
But yeah, they certainly work well. I have them loaded for a 1:12 .22-250 also.

As 'amazing' as 77s and monos can seem, they're always a step down from other stuff on anything over 75#. I have used them on plenty of deer and hogs, and that's made me not 'prefer' any 223/556 bullet for deer/hogs. If I were hunting tons of pigs in TX or OK 2-3 nights a week, then $ vs volume might factor in to that. I shoot more coyotes and smaller varmints constantly, so that's my 223 AR's bread and butter. I swap to 6.8 or other stuff for night hogs and day deer.

As 'amazing' as 77s and monos can seem, they're always a step down from other stuff on anything over 75#. I have used them on plenty of deer and hogs, and that's made me not 'prefer' any 223/556 bullet for deer/hogs. If I were hunting tons of pigs in TX or OK 2-3 nights a week, then $ vs volume might factor in to that. I shoot more coyotes and smaller varmints constantly, so that's my 223 AR's bread and butter. I swap to 6.8 or other stuff for night hogs and day deer.
I love the 6 arc for coyotes here in Tennessee it works well for deer also but not many hogs in my area.