55gr vs 77gr 5.56

Me and some buddies shot a bunch of hogs 2 weeks ago in TX on our annual meat hunt with a 5.56 loaded with 63gr absolute hammers at 3030fps. We also shot a feral goat and a Texas dall ram with that rifle. We were all very impressed with the damage that little 5.56 did. Most of the pigs we shot were between 100-200lbs because we were being selective and killing big sows mostly. I would go with the heavier 77gr for my hunting of pigs with a 5.56.

Me and 2 of my hunting partners have switched from 300blk and 7.62x39 and 6.5 Grendel over to 77gr bthp in 5.56. I can load a mag for less that $15 and don't see myself going back to other more expensive cartridges any time soon. I'm shooting a 18" 1:7tw WOA barrel and with the 77gr Sierra match kings AAC load from palmetto state. I'm getting 2750fps and sub 3/4" groups at 100yds.

Fmj's are horrible on hogs unless you are a head shot ninja. We have found that varmint style bullets or hollow points that dump all of their energy inside the ribcage are superior to any bullet that makes 2 holes. The 77gr pills will have better bc vs 55's if the shots get long.

Me and my rifle like the 77gr offering from AAC and the price is right!

Me and 2 of my hunting partners have switched from 300blk and 7.62x39 and 6.5 Grendel over to 77gr bthp in 5.56. I can load a mag for less that $15 and don't see myself going back to other more expensive cartridges any time soon. I'm shooting a 18" 1:7tw WOA barrel and with the 77gr Sierra match kings AAC load from palmetto state. I'm getting 2750fps and sub 3/4" groups at 100yds.

Fmj's are horrible on hogs unless you are a head shot ninja. We have found that varmint style bullets or hollow points that dump all of their energy inside the ribcage are superior to any bullet that makes 2 holes. The 77gr pills will have better bc vs 55's if the shots get long.

55gr will put any size hog down if you ear hole em. If you miss the head prepare to empty the mag though
Indeed. And headshots are my favorite on hogs because let's face it, ribs on the smoker are delicious. Especially the honey glazed ones with a nice spicy dry rub.

This is also why I like a touch heavier mono for hog hunting because they drive through. Last time I went hog hunting my buddy headshot one and didn't realize he hit the one behind it in the chest. The one that took what was left of a 63gr absolute hammer to the chest only made it about 40 yards. Not big hog but probably about 80lbs.

Indeed. And headshots are my favorite on hogs because let's face it, ribs on the smoker are delicious. Especially the honey glazed ones with a nice spicy dry rub.

This is also why I like a touch heavier mono for hog hunting because they drive through. Last time I went hog hunting my buddy headshot one and didn't realize he hit the one behind it in the chest. The one that took what was left of a 63gr absolute hammer to the chest only made it about 40 yards. Not big hog but probably about 80lbs.
Rub them in mayonasa "Mexican mayonnaise" and inject them with a 50/50 mix Klassen pickle juice and pineapple juice........ then put on your favorite rub. Hot honey is pretty good on it also after it's cooked.

I dropped a 90# hog on the run at 180yds with a 77gr otm 2 weeks ago. Folded her up like a cheap lawn chair. I was impressed especially for it being a high shoulder shot.

Rub them in mayonasa "Mexican mayonnaise" and inject them with a 50/50 mix Klassen pickle juice and pineapple juice........ then put on your favorite rub. Hot honey is pretty good on it also after it's cooked.

I dropped a 90# hog on the run at 180yds with a 77gr otm 2 weeks ago. Folded her up like a cheap lawn chair. I was impressed especially for it being a high shoulder shot.
Not to derail this thread but dang the rib recipe is sounding delicious. I'm headed over for some hog hunting in TX in about 10 days so I'll have to cook some ribs one night and this one sounds like a winner.

Not to derail this thread but dang the rib recipe is sounding delicious. I'm headed over for some hog hunting in TX in about 10 days so I'll have to cook some ribs one night and this one sounds like a winner.
It's not a "rib" recipe...... it's a Texas feral hog "base layer" recipe. It works on hams and loins and shoulders just as well.

If you want fajita flavor....add fajita seasoning

If you want Cajun flavor.....add Cajun seasoning

If you want pulled pork BBQ flavor.....add smoke and head country BBQ sauce

It works best with hogs under 75#
If you can get piglets in the 15-25# range you can make some the best carnita tacos on the planet!!!!

It's not a "rib" recipe...... it's a Texas feral hog "base layer" recipe. It works on hams and loins and shoulders just as well.

If you want fajita flavor....add fajita seasoning

If you want Cajun flavor.....add Cajun seasoning

If you want pulled pork BBQ flavor.....add smoke and head country BBQ sauce

It works best with hogs under 75#
If you can get piglets in the 15-25# range you can make some the best carnita tacos on the planet!!!!
I've done the piglets smoked to falling apart several times and I agree they are fantastic!

You are shooting the wrong two hole bullets. I have killed a pile of hogs and I can think of lots of better bullets than a varmit bullet. Any mono would be better. Fmj suck but any mono hunting bullet or my favorite the 62gr partition is money. But no way would I trade the payload of a 6.5 Grendel for a .223.

Recent Posts