55gr vs 77gr 5.56

I'd say similar to deer some are close some are farther out. As stated after the first one you are shooting at running hogs. So is you are looking for one good shot that's about what you get. But I'd say a few hundred rounds a year for me. I shoot 6.5 Grendel loaded with 97gr hammers. Works great. But I also keep in mind I enjoy it a lot. So I waste money on all kinds of things I like. Do I need a 650hp truck nope but it like it. Same should apply hear.

If economic is a concern hard to beat the .223 but my point was it is not and never will be as good as the 6.5 Grendel.
I guess that's why I was asking. To me, better to have enough umph when hunting anything. Unless it's your job to destroy pigs, at most you're only going to shoot a couple hundred rounds per year. Why not up the horsepower a bit?

I'm not a fan of the 6.5 man bun and don't own one…but after careful consideration, this might be the niche I would use it for. I'm a 30 cal guy, so the reality is a 300 BO or .308 (bolt or auto loader) would be my choice if I went down south for a hunt.

If all I had was a .22 cal rifle…then yes, 77grn provided I have the right twist of 1 in 7". Which I do on both of my ARs.

I guess that's why I was asking. To me, better to have enough umph when hunting anything. Unless it's your job to destroy pigs, at most you're only going to shoot a couple hundred rounds per year. Why not up the horsepower a bit?

I'm not a fan of the 6.5 man bun and don't own one…but after careful consideration, this might be the niche I would use it for. I'm a 30 cal guy, so the reality is a 300 BO or .308 (bolt or auto loader) would be my choice if I went down south for a hunt.

If all I had was a .22 cal rifle…then yes, 77grn provided I have the right twist of 1 in 7". Which I do on both of my ARs.
Well the .308 puts you in a ar-10 platform if auto loader. So kinda apples to oranges. Lots of great options in ar-10 the ar-15 platform is great. The 300 blk is also pretty fantastic but not on the level of the Grendel. I took 13 deer this year with the blk. And have taken hundreds of hogs. But the Grendel just has more on it.

I'd like to see you use these and report on them. Makes me want to live in pig country. https://palmettostatearmory.com/aac-5-56-nato-77-grain-sierra-tmk-20rd-box-ammunition.html
These are exactly the bullets I'm using. https://palmettostatearmory.com/aac-5-56-nato-77-grain-otm-20rd-box-ammunition.html

The tmk are my #1 choice and shoot the best in my rifle but they are not always in stock. The 77gr otm shoot so close to the same that I bought 2 cases on black Friday.

The 75gr sabers also shoot tight groups but the tips deform like crazy. I can still put a whole magazine into a business card size group in about 90sec

I start cussing a bullet/cartridge when I make a great shot and it's doesn't perform well......not when I make a bad shot.

To the actual topic it's not as much the weight of the bullet as it is the bullet construction. A 55gr mono will be much better than a 77gr target. All things equal yes the 77gr will drive through better on less than perfect shots or have better luck with the heavy hide. Federal loaded some 62-64gr can't remember ammo with nosler partitions. They were great on pigs.
If you think the 77gr OTM or better yet the 77gr TMK are inadequate you haven't tried them.
There are other bullets that perform nearly as well, But the 77gr TMK seems to maximize the 5.56mm, or several other. 224".
On deer, elk, moose, black bear, there is little difference in wound cavity between these and bigger cartridges like the .308 Win 150gr partition or even a. 300 WM.
For evidence, with pictures, and many field reports, take a look through this thread.
Thread
https://rokslide.com/forums/threads/223-for-bear-deer-elk-and-moose.130488/ '.223 for bear, deer, elk and moose.'

What kind of ranges are you folks engaging these critters, on average? Seems like close range from the videos I've seen.

Also, for those that want to be economical…how many shots per year do you take on hogs?
90% of our shots are less than 200yds. I try to kill 10 hogs with 1 20rnd magazine. Some hogs are one and done..... some take 3-5 shots. When they go down I don't let them flop much. At 65 cents a round I'm not afraid to put a couple extra in them to make sure they are good and dead as soon as possible.

Thermal hunting is a different game entirely.

If you think the 77gr OTM or better yet the 77gr TMK are inadequate you haven't tried them.
There are other bullets that perform nearly as well, But the 77gr TMK seems to maximize the 5.56mm, or several other. 224".
On deer, elk, moose, black bear, there is little difference in wound cavity between these and bigger cartridges like the .308 Win 150gr partition or even a. 300 WM.
For evidence, with pictures, and many field reports, take a look through this thread.
Thread
https://rokslide.com/forums/threads/223-for-bear-deer-elk-and-moose.130488/ '.223 for bear, deer, elk and moose.'
That's not what I was saying at all. I was looking specifically at posted specs of gps and ftlbs.

90% of our shots are less than 200yds. I try to kill 10 hogs with 1 20rnd magazine. Some hogs are one and done..... some take 3-5 shots. When they go down I don't let them flop much. At 65 cents a round I'm not afraid to put a couple extra in them to make sure they are good and dead as soon as possible.

Thermal hunting is a different game entirely.
Sound like we hunt a lot alike. Just send them and try and empty the mag. Lol Sure is fun.

I'm going to assume you meant fps and ft lbs. Neither of which are an actual measure of effectiveness.

Wound cavity is what matters, fps, ft lbs (derived from mass x velocity) don't matter as much as the reaction of those factors on the construction of the bullet in tissue.

I'm not saying the Grendel isn't effective. I'm wanting to point out that bullet choice is most important to get the desired results.

I'm going to assume you meant fps and ft lbs. Neither of which are an actual measure of effectiveness.

Wound cavity is what matters, fps, ft lbs (derived from mass x velocity) don't matter as much as the reaction of those factors on the construction of the bullet in tissue.

I'm not saying the Grendel isn't effective. I'm wanting to point out that bullet choice is most important to get the desired results.
That's why early I stated all things equal. If the proper bullets are chosen the bigger one going the same speed is always better. Even if just from a penetration aspect.

Bigger isn't better. If both caliber bullets are constructed to perform at the same velocity, arrive at the same velocity, then yes the bigger bullet would probably produce a bigger wound cavity.
Rarely is that the case.

The number of wild pigs dealt with in the southern USA is ridiculous.
Never pass an opportunity to take one out of commission. Or 50.
They dont deserve expensIve bullets. What does it matter in the end? Buzzards gotta eat, same as worms….

Last edited: