50gr vmax

Love my 50 grain v -max out of my 223._my second 223 is very picky but shoots the 40 grainers under a dime. I shoot the 50s almost exclusively out of my main 223. Only had one exit on anything from a bobcat and up. That was a neck shot on a smaller coyote. With proper placement everything has been drt!

I can't seem to get the 53gr V-Max to shoot under 1.25" at 100 yds out of my 1:12 twist .223. I'm thinking of starting over with my load development and if nothing works, moving to the 50gr. Frustrating...

I plan on testing Benchmark since it seems to get accurate loads with it.

I get just a hair better accuracy from imr 4895 but a noticeable velocity increase from benchmark. Plus it runs through my 550 powder measure.

I have a 223 that loves 50 gr. V-Max. One load this rifle loves shoots 4 in 1 hole with the 5th shot making the group .250. at 100yds., If I do my part. When I go to 55 gr. V-Max the groups open to near 1 inch. I found I have to go to jacket core bullets like the 55 gr. Hornady SX to get the bullet length to work with the twist in the barrel. And an old Rem. 722 222 Rem. that lives here loves 50 Gr. V-Max too.

Once I got them ranged in I shot four in five shots at 685 (two of them) 690 and 705 yards a couple of years ago using 50 grain Nosler Ballistic Tips. No reason that could not have been done with the Vmax instead. All were DRT too.

Was a perfect day with no wind, 80 degrees and a lights out accurate 223 AI. That was a day that I will remember forever.

Warning! This thread is more than 5 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.