500 Yards of Fun

krummarine

I might be posting this in the wrong place but wanted to show a couple pics of a shoot I participated in down in Clemmons, NC this past weekend. A buddy of mine, Dave Sink is a gunsmith that lives in the area and he has access to a nearby 500 yard range. I had my Rem 700 in 6BR that he built me some years ago. He cut back and re-chambered a Rem Varmint barrel in .243, then mounted it on my 700 action that he trued up. Adjusted the trigger, and bedded it in a VLS stock. I had a NXS 3.5-15X50 mounted on it and was shooting 107 grain Sierra hand loads. The large plate is 10", and the smaller is 5". The diamond is 2.5" across. The 10 was fairly easy to ring but the 5" and the diamond took a little more work but was able to hit both pretty consistently. It was hot, but had a good time. Dave Sink will build you a rifle that shoots and shoots well. He was shooting his own 6BR as well and taking me to school as usual. Can PM his contact info to anyone interested.
2wdozfp.jpg

2eczo7k.jpg

Nice shooting, sure looks like fun. Nice rifle. I have wanted a Rem 700 VLS since they hit the streets. I'd love to have several though! One in .223, .22-250 (1-7" twist), 6mm BR, .243 AI (1-8), .257 Roberts AI, .260 Rem., .270 WSM, 7mm WSM and .300 WSM. That should keep me busy! LOL!

I can feel the North Carolina humidity just by looking at your shirt!. Mine (shirt) looks like yours most days my buds and I shoot. I love it though. Thanks for posting! JohnnyK.

I had a VLS 260 and shot it until I shot out the barrel, It shot so well that I took it to an IBS Benchrest match and shot it in factory class. All day long it out shot all the 22/250's that were in my class right up until match 5 when I cross fired on the guy next to me. Had me hooked

That is a nice looking rifle you have there and some nice shooting to boot. That East Coast humidity is a killer. I was stationed and hunted in South Carolina for a little over 7 1/2 years. Great folks and good hunting in a hunter friendly state, but that humidity was brutal. I had never heard the word humiditure before. I understood it by the time I left. :rolleyes: I've wanted to have a custom rifle built for a long time, but I was thinking about a .308. I know there are bigger, faster and flatter shooting rounds out there, but I've always enjoyed shooting a .308.

I presently own three. Two semi autos and a bolt action. My M1A Super Match is an accurate nice shooting rifle and will reach out there pretty well. I've always shot it using the aperture sights. With my over 60 eyes I don't know how much longer that will go on. Th others are a HK91 and a CZ 550FS. The Mannlicher sock on the CZ is beautiful and it has a great trigger. It isn't however what I would call a long range gun. It's a 250-300 yard hunting rifle with a 3-9x50 mounted on it.

The .308 cartridge is a barrel friendly round. That's one thing I demand of a cartridge. Some of the really interesting cartridges will burn out a barrel way to quickly for my liking. If anyone had a recommendation for long range rifle that is easy on the barrel and isn't a thumper that makes you wince at the thought of pulling the trigger your input would be appreciated.

Is their a public or private range/club in clemmons that holds tournaments? I'm just a few minutes away from there and have been looking for a place to shoot around here. Just curious, thanks.

There is a private range in Churchland, about 20 to 25 min away from you that has several types of matches. The name is PHA (Piedmont Handgunners Assoc.) Shoot me a PM if you interested and I can get you more info.

That is a nice looking rifle you have there and some nice shooting to boot. That East Coast humidity is a killer. I was stationed and hunted in South Carolina for a little over 7 1/2 years. Great folks and good hunting in a hunter friendly state, but that humidity was brutal. I had never heard the word humiditure before. I understood it by the time I left. :rolleyes: I've wanted to have a custom rifle built for a long time, but I was thinking about a .308. I know there are bigger, faster and flatter shooting rounds out there, but I've always enjoyed shooting a .308.

I presently own three. Two semi autos and a bolt action. My M1A Super Match is an accurate nice shooting rifle and will reach out there pretty well. I've always shot it using the aperture sights. With my over 60 eyes I don't know how much longer that will go on. Th others are a HK91 and a CZ 550FS. The Mannlicher sock on the CZ is beautiful and it has a great trigger. It isn't however what I would call a long range gun. It's a 250-300 yard hunting rifle with a 3-9x50 mounted on it.

The .308 cartridge is a barrel friendly round. That's one thing I demand of a cartridge. Some of the really interesting cartridges will burn out a barrel way to quickly for my liking. If anyone had a recommendation for long range rifle that is easy on the barrel and isn't a thumper that makes you wince at the thought of pulling the trigger your input would be appreciated.

Nothing wrong with the 308. Very accurate round. Take a look at the 6 BR. Very very easy on barrels, super accurate and easy to shoot. It dosnet take alot of powder to push that 107 sierra BTHP to 3000fps and Lapua brass will last a loooong time. Great little round that often gets over looked in todays world of big fast magnum rounds.

Warning! This thread is more than 10 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.