500 s&w handi 325 speer

6mm06guy

Ok guys, I'm looking for load data for the 325gr speer in my 500 handi rifle, I haven't tried reloading the 500 at all, and I have had 250 of these bullets given to me, so I hope they work. Any info will be helpful.

I loaded 2 last night, and I have hit my first snag. Both bullets I put a slight roll crimp on, but they wouldn't chamber. So I ran my sizing die over both (just around the crimp) and they chambered fine.
is this cartridge designed to have a crimp that rolls into a cannelure?

I loaded 2 last night, and I have hit my first snag. Both bullets I put a slight roll crimp on, but they wouldn't chamber. So I ran my sizing die over both (just around the crimp) and they chambered fine.
is this cartridge designed to have a crimp that rolls into a cannelure?

Back when I hunted with a .454, if I didn't really crimp them they moved forward under recoil. Like you I had to run them through a sizing die that didn't have a top on it. I doubt you have that much recoil in a rifle, though.

The biggest thing I noticed with the 500 when loading was I couldn't go long. The crimp hasn't been much (although I do use one), but if I go too long on OAL I get fits trying to get it to chamber. I'm using a revolver though so may be different for you.

Please correct me if I'm wrong but isn't the Handi rifle a single shot? As a single shot, bullet creep isn't an issue.
However, a lot of the magnum pistol powders benefit/need the good solid roll crimp for consistent ignition.

Yes it is a single shot rifle, I'm going to try some h110 with these bullets tonight after I prep my new winchester brass, I just haven't had a cartridge not chamber before. I don't think the crimp will matter to much either with the gun being a rifle.

Warning! This thread is more than 9 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Recent Posts