.50 Beowulf and 6.8 on 5 Hogs, 1 Coyote

Double Naught Spy

Went out with buddies last night to hunt hogs in Montague County, north Texas. I served as the backup and secondary shooter, James being the primary. We got onto hogs 3 times. We shot at 5 hogs. We killed 5 hogs. The bonus riders were 9 on board with a 270 lb sow James shot and 4 more on a 210 lb sow I shot. After we parted, company, James managed to take a coyote as well.

James was shooting a Reap-IR on his 6.8 and really likes it. I got to look through it for a bit and was impressed with how will it performs. I am not sure about the non-specific S&B poly tip ammo he was shooting, however.

I was using a Sig Sauer Echo 1 on a .50 Beowulf, shooting some Hornady FTX 300 gr. bullets (1900 fps) that performed well. I had spent the morning checking out 5 different loads and the FTX was the best option to hunt with last evening. It did some significant damage and put down the hogs despite one of the shots being too high.

Here is the video. It is a bit long, but has 3 separate hunts. I am putting together a followup video on the terminal ballistics, hopefully up and running tomorrow.

Warning: Some butchery and piglet fetuses shown.
[ame]https://youtu.be/EVhBGP7Hzsw[/ame]

Good times & nice work 00! Keepin' an eye out for your follow up vids.

I'm down in Dallas looking for a place to go for them now that it's cooled down a bit during the day. I get conflicting advice. During the summer people said wait until fall, it's too hot for them to move in the day. Now people saying they aren't out in daytime because they're out eating at night.

Nice video. I've had very good results on hogs (most under 300lbs) with the 6.8spc as well. The S&B ballistic tip isn't bad ammo for the job and I've shot a whole lot of the 110gr Accubonds and found it worked very well.

You don't want to try punching the shoulders on a big boar with the 6.8 but for head shots and behind the shoulder shots it does well.

DNS,

Don't every apologize for a lengthy hunting video! They are the only things that help me keep my sanity when I'm working!

Good job on another quality video!

Warning! This thread is more than 8 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.