5.6 X 57mm RWS

ironhorse18

I had ask a question earlier about a build for 22-250. I have a Mauser VZ24 action. It seems to be ok, laped lugs and cleaned well, glass bead blasted, smoothed up pretty good. I was gonna' build a 22-250, my son said how about a 5.6-57 RWS ?? I have read about the thick neck issue. Can the neck be annealed or OD trimed? Looks like something that would be fun to work with. It should feed well into a Mauser action. Any comments or sugestions would be really appreciated. We just wanted to build a small caliber somewhat off the beaten path..........

Thank you in advance,

Ironhorse18

I had ask a question earlier about a build for 22-250. I have a Mauser VZ24 action. It seems to be ok, laped lugs and cleaned well, glass bead blasted, smoothed up pretty good. I was gonna' build a 22-250, my son said how about a 5.6-57 RWS ?? I have read about the thick neck issue. Can the neck be annealed or OD trimed? Looks like something that would be fun to work with. It should feed well into a Mauser action. Any comments or sugestions would be really appreciated. We just wanted to build a small caliber somewhat off the beaten path..........

Thank you in advance,

Ironhorse18

Go with the 22-250 or .220 swift etc etc

The RWS 5.6x57 is a very hot number, but brass is almost impossible to find and as far as I can tell, cannot be made from other brass. Even if you can find a reamer to have the chamber done, it will be with the heavy neck, which means you'll have to stick with that neck thickness. I don't really know much about reloaded case life -- annealing would extend it. But why... Come to your senses -- building a novel caliber just for the sake of it is mad...

Thanks for the information. I have been doing a lot of inernet research today finding out just what you have stated. I am going to stick with the
22-250. 5.6 dies are very expensive, and like you say brass is nearly impossible to locate.

Oh by the way,, I am old, and a little crazy........... It,s fun...............

Thanks,
ironhorse18

Spectre USAF

I happen to know something about the 5.6x57 since my father in law in Germany has a nice Simpson Combi chambered in 16 ga. and 5.6x57R

The rimmed variety of this cal is even more problematic.....

But given the hx of the gun, I cannot just thow in the towel -- since I suspect I'll inherit the gun someday, I am getting the brass together and dies to reload for it. The brass is costing about $2 each..... Ouch!

It is indeed a scorcher of a weapon, running about 150 fps faster than a .220 swift. But there is no free lunch -- these overbore .224 cartridges all will burn out barrels rather fast. RWS never intended this as a varmint caliber -- these guns saw about 5 shots each year. 2 or 3 to make sure the scope was on and 2-3 to shoot game.

Wow, thanks for the information. That would be an expensive gun just for play. It does sound interesting. My dad was a gunsmith after he retired from his rergular job. Nearly all of his equipment and stock was sold after he passed. I got a couple of his guns, I treasure them........... Tough way to get a gun. I wish you the best.

Thanks again,
ironhorse18

Warning! This thread is more than 14 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.