5.6 X 57mm RWS

Discussion in 'Rifles, Bullets, Barrels & Ballistics' started by ironhorse18, Jul 29, 2010.

1. ironhorse18

ironhorse18 Member

I had ask a question earlier about a build for 22-250. I have a Mauser VZ24 action. It seems to be ok, laped lugs and cleaned well, glass bead blasted, smoothed up pretty good. I was gonna' build a 22-250, my son said how about a 5.6-57 RWS ?? I have read about the thick neck issue. Can the neck be annealed or OD trimed? Looks like something that would be fun to work with. It should feed well into a Mauser action. Any comments or sugestions would be really appreciated. We just wanted to build a small caliber somewhat off the beaten path..........

Thank you in advance,

Ironhorse18

2. cdherman

cdherman Well-Known Member

Go with the 22-250 or .220 swift etc etc

The RWS 5.6x57 is a very hot number, but brass is almost impossible to find and as far as I can tell, cannot be made from other brass. Even if you can find a reamer to have the chamber done, it will be with the heavy neck, which means you'll have to stick with that neck thickness. I don't really know much about reloaded case life -- annealing would extend it. But why... Come to your senses -- building a novel caliber just for the sake of it is mad...

3. ironhorse18

ironhorse18 Member

Thanks for the information. I have been doing a lot of inernet research today finding out just what you have stated. I am going to stick with the
    22-250. 5.6 dies are very expensive, and like you say brass is nearly impossible to locate.

Oh by the way,, I am old, and a little crazy........... It,s fun...............

Thanks,
    ironhorse18

Spectre USAF

4. cdherman

cdherman Well-Known Member

I happen to know something about the 5.6x57 since my father in law in Germany has a nice Simpson Combi chambered in 16 ga. and 5.6x57R

The rimmed variety of this cal is even more problematic.....

But given the hx of the gun, I cannot just thow in the towel -- since I suspect I'll inherit the gun someday, I am getting the brass together and dies to reload for it. The brass is costing about $2 each..... Ouch!

It is indeed a scorcher of a weapon, running about 150 fps faster than a .220 swift. But there is no free lunch -- these overbore .224 cartridges all will burn out barrels rather fast. RWS never intended this as a varmint caliber -- these guns saw about 5 shots each year. 2 or 3 to make sure the scope was on and 2-3 to shoot game.

5. ironhorse18

ironhorse18 Member

Wow, thanks for the information. That would be an expensive gun just for play. It does sound interesting. My dad was a gunsmith after he retired from his rergular job. Nearly all of his equipment and stock was sold after he passed. I got a couple of his guns, I treasure them........... Tough way to get a gun. I wish you the best.

Thanks again,
    ironhorse18