.458 TSX Barnes 450 gr bullet for 45-70?

timblevins

I'm waiting on the new Ruger/Marlin 45-70 and looking for bear loads. Has anyone used Barnes TSX 450 gr in the 45-70 or is it meant for the 458 lott, SOCOM or 458 mag?

The bullet is designed for 458 Win mag and similar cartridges. It is much too long to function through a Marlin lever gun. The bullet would likely fail to expand at 45-70 velocities anyway.

Use the Barnes 300 TSX bullet, with its gapping hollowpoint, which is designed for the 45-70 and functions well through the Marlin action. I've loaded this bullet at 2,000 ft/sec and found it comfortable to shoot and quickly lethal on whitetails and black bears.

Unless you live in a no lead zone, the 350 grain Hornady round nose is far and away the best bullet choice for the 45-70. I have shot everything from grouse to moose and bears with that bullet. Exceptional performer at even 1500 fps. It goes clean through bears length wise at that speed and opens up great. I shot a ton of game, especially bears with that bullet. You can push them a lot faster, I have tried it, but all that does is kick the snot out of the shooter, they don't kill any better.

Five fairly fast shots using a rolled blanket for a rest from a JM Marlin prior to Magna_Porting it.

XFIuxSl.jpg

Later production Remington made Marlin 18" GG after the factory move and new equipment. Anyone that says they won't shoot, never owned one.

2Z8ODv1.jpg

Probably the vast majority of 45-70 hunting rounds are launched at whitetails. Here's an option that I've been fooling around with lately. The Hornady 250gr MonoFlex, all copper expanding bullet, can be shot at much higher speeds and flattens the curve quite a bit. It's pleasant to shoot and very accurate in my JM 1895SBL. The bullet exited on a broadside whitetail buck. A very effective bullet.
This group was shot at 200yds - probably the smallest group I've shot from my 1895.
250 MonoFlex.jpg

Thanks for all the useful information gents, I appreciate it. I'll give the 350gr bullets a try instead as suggested. Sounds like they'll do the trick just fine.