450yd coyote

Have shot at coyotes at greater distance just to watch them jump.....
Have never been one who shoots them but do enjoy putting a round by their rear
watching them do a 360 and run.......
At a ranch I worked they were welcome never had a problem and enjoyed watching them
catch mice under the snow.
Would not give it a second thought to putting them down if they were a problem.....for
some they are.
Opinions vary with each person.......

I really enjoy going out into the cold harsh weather conditions here in Kansas to try to kill coyotes. But I only shoot them at point blank range, in the head, between the eyes, and never while they are taking a dump. And after I have killed them, I spend another 20 minutes performing a native American ritual honoring the spirit of the animal that I just killed. I then skin the animal and eat his heart. After making sure I have used ever bit of the dead animal that I can and have made sure his spirit has safely passed over to the other side into doggy heaven, my ethics then dictate that I spend the rest of the day looking for any offspring or siblings of the dead animal. If I find them, I give them a restitution check and set up a trust fund for them and all of their offspring so that they can all live comfortably and attend any college of their choice. I also build a monument in my front yard honoring the dead animal so that for generations people will know about this animal and how important it was to the world.

But that's just me. Its not like I think I'm better than the rest of you all for not adhering to the same ethics that I do. that's not why I posted this... Its just an FYI.

To Incognito,

You need to get a job, hobby, or something. You have way too much time on your hands writting dribble with not even making a point. Oh, and I sure would hate to live in your neighborhood for the property values must be low with your monuments. Probably have rusty old cars out front too and refer to them as "yard art" eh?

Hypocrisy, that's my point. It disappoints me that I actually have to explain it. Maybe the sarcasm was too heavy or that you've just chosen not to 'get it but here goes. Hunters go out into the wild to kill things. Anytime someone starts throwing ethics into that equation two words come to mind: dishonesty & hypocrisy. Now, I guess based upon my previous experience in this conversation I better go ahead and add that I do not get any pleasure or enjoy seeing animals suffer. But to think that as a hunter I am going to go out and instantly kill animals is just being dishonest with one's self. The animal will almost always suffer. When you pull the trigger and send a 150gr. projectile .30" in diameter traveling 2600 fps toward an animal, and here's the best part, for your own enjoyment; you have already stepped off the "ethics reservation". We send that projectile tearing through the animal's flesh, not because we are hungry, not because we need his fur to keep warm or build a shelter, and not because he is threatening us or our livestock. We do it for fun. And in most cases, the animal will suffer even if briefly. So for some, it is OK and ethical to make an animal suffer for their own fun for, say 5 seconds. But if he suffers for 6 seconds that's unethical? I've seen deer that have had well placed shots and it took minutes for them to die. In the case of the coyote hunter who started this discussion (congrats by the way on a nice long range shot), he finished the coyote with a 2nd shot. He did not say how much time elapsed between the 1st and 2nd shot. But I'll bet it was less time than a lot of deer suffer even when they were hit with a well placed shot. We learn to track our game, especially deer, because that is just part of it. Talk to bow hunters and find out how many deer just fall over dead when they shoot them. Are all bow hunters unethical? Some people do not take long range shots because the increased chances of the animal suffering more bothers them. That's fine, we all have different tolerances and ideas about that. But a guy who only hunts with a 460 Weatherby could make a strong case that anyone not hunting with the same caliber weapon that he is using is unethical. Don't be so quick to judge someone just because they didn't do it the way you would. What is the magic number for you as far as the longest range shot you will take? 100...200 yards? What about 201?

Last edited:
That bit of a post pretty much cleared things up in my mind.

I don't take any animal lives for the "fun" of it.

Coyotes are taken for predator control (fawn kills)

Big game is taken for the table.

Feral cats are taken to save the local quail population.

I'm located in a "don't want this dog any more drop off area" and its no pleasure to rid the area of strays.

There are those near me that feel strongly that its unethical to even own a firearm.......

LOL...yeah, hunting isn't any fun at all. I don't know why we spend so much time and money on this "sport". We even visit a web site dedicated to long range hunting since hunting is such a drudgery to us.

Hello Inkognito good post had a good laugh,need to print it off for the newbes that come to our moose hunting cabin. I would sooner stand alone as a wild animal on a open field, then be part of a bait herd that is processed and never sees the lite of day.:)

Excellent posts, Inkognito. So dang funny and so dang sad at the same time... Very well put none the less.

I shot a "driveby" coyote yesterday evening running at 320 yards. When my nephew and I got to where it was hit, it had managed to get up and leave. We tracked it for about a mile wearing tennis shoes (it was not a hunting trip)in the snow at 19 degrees before getting to the coyote and finishing it. Are we unethical for taking the shot or a hero for doing the right thing and finishing what I started? You make the call--just don't call me names.

The coyote is dead and his pelt is going to the fur shed. Do I wish it had been quicker? Yep. For his sake and mine. :)

Sounds like you had a good time! :) Good job tracking him down. I almost had a shot at one yesterday. It was probably 300-400 yards, but it was so foggy I just could not acquire him in my scope. Otherwise I would have taken the shot.

Well done tracker, look at it this way you were lucky enough to shoot twice at a coyote in one day. I for one am not ashamed to admit i enjoy killing the varmints. I don't need to make excuses for why I hunt them the fact that I enjoy hunting is reason enough to kill the damm things.

Warning! This thread is more than 14 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.