450 Yard Texas Aoudad Hammered

HammerBullets

Marty shot this Alpine, Texas Aoudad late in the evening at 453 yards with his 264 Win Mag and the 124 Hammer Hunter bullet. Congratulations Marty on an incredible shot and hunt.
3CCD99A9-E656-47B2-A426-CAE852E01ED0.png

What's the word on the 85 grain HH you guys were testing in Africa. I think they were going for Elan. I'm interested, as I shoot that bullet also.
My wife shot a golden wildebeest with it. Slightly quartered to, impacted on the point of the shoulder and went center through the big knuckle bone and stopped in the far lung. Shot was at 180y with muzzle vel of 3540 fps. Pretty impressive performance for a very little bullet. The wildebeest dropped to the shot and then got back up. This worried the PH because these animals rarely drop from a non cns hit and then get back up. Usually this indicates a shot that is too high that just touched the spine and results in a very long tracking to recover the animal. In this case the wildebeest dropped from the initial shock to his whole system, then regained his senses and ran about 75y before bleeding out.

I had planned to use the 85g HH for my eland, but we wound up taking some new prototype bullets that wound up getting the nod for everything after that.

My wife shot a golden wildebeest with it. Slightly quartered to, impacted on the point of the shoulder and went center through the big knuckle bone and stopped in the far lung. Shot was at 180y with muzzle vel of 3540 fps. Pretty impressive performance for a very little bullet. The wildebeest dropped to the shot and then got back up. This worried the PH because these animals rarely drop from a non cns hit and then get back up. Usually this indicates a shot that is too high that just touched the spine and results in a very long tracking to recover the animal. In this case the wildebeest dropped from the initial shock to his whole system, then regained his senses and ran about 75y before bleeding out.

I had planned to use the 85g HH for my eland, but we wound up taking some new prototype bullets that wound up getting the nod for everything after that.
What chamebering your 85gr HH?

People cringe from light bullets, but I find they perform better than heavy slugs, like a 168. My biggest exit wound to date was a .243 90 gr. Speed kills IMO. 6.5 .243 they just work.

People cringe from light bullets, but I find they perform better than heavy slugs, like a 168. My biggest exit wound to date was a .243 90 gr. Speed kills IMO. 6.5 .243 they just work.
That's what I'm finding too. My 7RM with a 143 Hammer at 3310 fps was impressive on deer. My 280AI with the 131 Hammer is testing at 3320 fps. Light recoil. I expect the same results on game.