45 ACP on Brown Bear.????

The Rowland would be my upgrade choice. I've shot one and it handles very nicely. If I had a G21, I'd definitely do it. I could easily convert my G20 to that but really think my 10mm set up how it is will get the job done unless the big guy upstairs has other plans for me.
I have a g40 also. If you haven't tried the long slides, the longer site radius does wonders for groups. Especially for a novice pistoleer like myself.

and still being able to run some 45acp
Interestingly, both my Rowlands (Clark's 1911 & Johnnys g41) still cycle 45 acp ammo flawlessly. With acceptable accuracy. This really surprised me.

My g40 10 also cycles 40 s&w. Makes it less expensive to stay up on proficiency and plinking.

Interestingly, both my Rowlands (Clark's 1911 & Johnnys g41) still cycle 45 acp ammo flawlessly. With acceptable accuracy. This really surprised me.

My g40 10 also cycles 40 s&w. Makes it less expensive to stay up on proficiency and plinking.

While some will cycle 45 acp, I preferred to stay with proper head space and do so with only a spring kit, buffers and brass. The Rowland load with a 250gr hard cast is only about 1,300fps (460rowland.com), and I can push my 45 Super with the same bullet in the 1,200-1,225fps range, I just didn't see much advantage in a more expensive transition. I had/have several 45 acp's, so for me at the time, I took the simplier and cheaper route to achieve nearly the same. YMMV

iu

My preferred grizzly stopper, for the win. Tough to pack, but I do feel safe when I do...

If I had to carry a .45 ACP in bear country I think I would polish up the feed ramp and cast up some 452423 Lyman 238 grain bullets ahead of a stiff load of Blue Dot. This bullet was designed by Elmer Keith for the 45 auto. I have used it in a 25 and a 625 Smith and it is very accurate and a lot better choice than a ball load.

The OP specifically asked about a 45 ACP ant in my humble opinion that's the best choice. I have never hunted in grizz country ,but have fished ,and like I told my brother in law when he laughed at me for carrying my 44 mag. It beats the he!! out of trying to whip them to death with a fly rod.

If I had to carry a .45 ACP in bear country I think I would polish up the feed ramp and cast up some 452423 Lyman 238 grain bullets ahead of a stiff load of Blue Dot. This bullet was designed by Elmer Keith for the 45 auto. I have used it in a 25 and a 625 Smith and it is very accurate and a lot better choice than a ball load.

The OP specifically asked about a 45 ACP ant in my humble opinion that's the best choice. I have never hunted in grizz country ,but have fished ,and like I told my brother in law when he laughed at me for carrying my 44 mag. It beats the he!! out of trying to whip them to death with a fly rod.
Smart choice. Polishing the feed ramp is almost a necessity when shooting cast lead bullets with no coating. My Buffalo Bore 220s fed ok in my BarSto barrels but additional polishing helped. The factory Glocks and aftermarket (KKM, Lone Wolf etc) don't have great feed ramp finishes. That helps a lot.

Back to 45 acp. Opinions on this 200 grain Phillips screwdriver projectile?
View attachment 465151

Better than a sharp stick or rock. If I was going to run with those, I would buy or load the fastest +P 45ACP I could, practice, and at least know I had a fighting chance. From everything I have seen and read, they do penetrate fairly well and don't seen to deform much, if any.

Last edited:
I think most big pistol owners don't shoot them enough to be good! I had a S&W 500 and it wasn't fun to shoot and expensive!
Go down to my plate rack and I will prove it. Stand behind the plywood and when the buzzer sounds step out and draw and run the plates
I'll beat you with my .45! then do it one handed then left handed. I might shoot 200 rounds in one afternoon when really into it.
2 or 3 .45's in the face is better than a miss or a dropped pistol!