45-70

diehardhunter

I was wondering how accurate and deadly for long range shooting is the 45-70? The reason I ask is because I was looking at the 45-70's in the new cabelas shooting catalog and they say they used to kill buffalo with these rifles out to 1000 yards. I was just curious if these rifles were for pretty or if you could actualy use them for long range shooting. Sorry to bother you guys but I was just curious.

They still shoot 1000 yd matches with these type of rifles. Accuracy runs about 1 1/2 MOA at best. Just gonna take a lot more practice with one of these, but is doable.

BCPR shooters consistently shoot 2moa and under using black powder. I feel that with smokeless and "modern" actions/stocks/scope, you could approach 1moa.

The biggest problem is wind drift at long range. Bad enough with a 308, now do the same thing with a bullet going 1/2 the speed (twice the travel time).

There is a class out on the east coast for these cartridges. You may want to contact the NRA to get more info.

Jerry

Warning! This thread is more than 21 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.