44 mag experience

Bearman375

I've currently have 4 44 mag pistols all are scoped and shoot accurate. I need real world advice on the 200 grain hornady monolithic bullets. Not wanting to know what you guys shoot, I've got a ton of loaded ammo and factory stuff. I just want to know if anyone actually used this 200 grain stuff? just picked up a Blackhawk hunter with 2 scopes dialed in . Wanting to try the monolithic bullet on my bear hunt next year. Thanks

It took some work to get the barnes to work at special velocity. I don't want a exit with the dogs around. I have now moved to a 50 cal. But the 44 kills great. The bear I shot with a 1894 marlin bullet worked great there too.

Attachments

• 20230727_063355.jpg
    20230727_063355.jpg
    1.1 MB · Views: 53
Good to know, I'll be using this fall and spring. I'm hoping they're accurate too?
As stated. I haven't used hornady. But the CE and the barnes have been just as accurate as lead core bullets.

CE possibly drops critters faster. I need more critters down to draw a complete conclusion.

I'm using a mix of barnes and CE this season.

I have had other handgun hunters say good things about the hornady lead free factory ammo.

So far the conclusions I can draw is….

Lead free pistol ammo works and kills cleanly.

Forget bullet weight when you are trying to pick a mono. Look at length. For example.

A 200 mono is about the same as a 240 JHP 44

140 mono is about the same as a 158 JHP 357.

Penetration is about the same between the monos and the JHP when measured up by the above example.

Trying to go heavy in monos just reduces powder capacity drastically.

Just my 2 cents gathered on about 5 years of hunting data.

I've been smacking animals with pistols for 30 years or so. I'm no expert or pretend to be…I'm always seek opinions and willing to learn, that's why I'm asking, thanks

I've been smacking animals with pistols for 30 years or so. I'm no expert or pretend to be…I'm always seek opinions and willing to learn, that's why I'm asking, thanks
If anyone stomps their foot and claims to be king….they generally are not. 🤣

The last 5 years I started adding monos to my revolver hunting.

I have slowly phased out the JHP stuff as my confidence grew in the monos.

This is the first year I will be using 100% monos.

I'm a long time mag pistol person. You can look up the load data and generally it is listed for 10 inch barrels. Which are the best. I have a majority of 8 and 10 inch and can take advantage of the slow powders.

for 200 grain Lil'Gun used to be my go to powder until Ramshot enforcer came around. Both of them can exceed 1700 fps. I was with my buddy and he shot a 360 pound bear in the forehead as it was walking towards us and it was DRT.

With a scope/ bipods 357 and 44 mags are both great antelope up to 200 yard guns. :)