.400 Legend on Deer size game yet?

Okay, here's the question... anyone used the .400 Legend on Deer size game yet? It seems to have some pretty respectable performance for its size and in a straight wall cartridge. I know it's the big brother of the 350 Legend which is nice, but... here, I might as well use my .30-30 WCF Yes... I see an advantage of using them in semi-autos, pumps, and levers as well, yeah even bolt rifles. However, I'm just looking at power to cartridge size. Looking back on when I was a young man, there were two cartridges that these two look very similar to, it sure looks like they trying to resurrect them, and they were actually quite nice little rifles and cartridges in semi-autos, the Winchester Model 1907 chambered in 351 SL they also had a version in 1905 the .35 SL but I digress. Winchester Model10 which they came out with, in 1910 chambered in .401 SL, this was a very nice bush gun in the Deer Woods, one I've shot a few times in a Winchester Model 1910 it was a very impressive little popper as small rifles go. I sure see an opportunity for someone like Win, Ruger, or perhaps Remington to bring back that little light short semi-auto rifle again... yes, I know that they would work in an AR, but... I'm kind of a blue steel and wood guy now, yep nostalgia, it's bittersweet... some of you will see as you get older. 🤔 ;) Cheers.

1695923276544.png

Funny, I recalled the 401 when I heard of the 400L also. One issue that several friends have when taking deer with the 350L, lack of a blood trail. They tell me there is a large exit wound but very little blood. There must be something to it because they all tell me the same thing and they dont know each other. We've tried 170 Hornady, hammers, and this year Maker bullets. They also tell me the vitals were destroyed.

Isn't it kind of like some of the old .40 cal straight wall black powder cartridges of yesteryear but updated?

Isn't it kind of like some of the old .40 cal straight wall black powder cartridges of yesteryear but updated?
Yep, just the old becoming new again, as a 10mm rifle with better powder and bullets today, and if they put it in the right rifle again like the old, Winchester 1910 .401 self-loader rifle it might just be a really fun Whitetail bush gun. As the cartridge goes I would think it would punch way over its weight class, the 10mm caliber is legendary for that, in nearly any cartridge from the 10mm pistol cartridge up. With the above said, I don't see any real appeal or earnest in Winchester bringing it out in a bolt action rifle, if they would as I said, bring it out in a semi-auto, pump action, and of course lever action then yes. Just my 0.2 Cheers

1698858097842.png

Yep, just the old becoming new again, as a 10mm rifle with better powder and bullets today, and if they put it in the right rifle again like the old, Winchester 1910 .401 self-loader rifle it might just be a really fun Whitetail bush gun. As the cartridge goes I would think it would punch way over its weight class, the 10mm caliber is legendary for that, in nearly any cartridge from the 10mm pistol cartridge up. With the above said, I don't see any real appeal or earnest in Winchester bringing it out in a bolt action rifle, if they would as I said, bring it out in a semi-auto, pump action, and of course lever action then yes. Just my 0.2 Cheers

View attachment 507124
Took a young buck a few years ago with my 1st year model 1910 .401WSL. I was fun to use an old, open sighted rifle. I grew up listening to my grandpa talk about his .401 that he never should have sold. I kept my eyes and ears open for years until I found one that was an early model and in good firing condition. I found brass and also made some out of 7.62x39. Expanded the case in four increments and then had the cases turned down a few thousandths. Worked great. It now sits in the safe.
401.JPG

Took a young buck a few years ago with my 1st year model 1910 .401WSL. I was fun to use an old, open sighted rifle. I grew up listening to my grandpa talk about his .401 that he never should have sold. I kept my eyes and ears open for years until I found one that was an early model and in good firing condition. I found brass and also made some out of 7.62x39. Expanded the case in four increments and then had the cases turned down a few thousandths. Worked great. It now sits in the safe.View attachment 507142
Now that's what I call hunting... and yes FUN! congrats, keep it shooting. Thanks for showing it... and sharing. Cheers

The problem with the 350L and 400L is lack of good light solidly constructed bullets that can be driven fast to achieve better terminal performance. The 350L would be far better with 125SH IMO to get the better performance out of a limited case capacity. Same with 400L though bullets are more limiting in that regard. For example, .357Max with .358 140SH at 2700fps 24"MGM barrel is possible. So what can the 350L with 125SH do? Betting equally well. When dealing with limited case capacity, lighter faster with right bullet will be better option. JMHO.

I'm trying to try it! We have two tags left and about a week and a half combined season of deer and elk left. One of my kids will be carrying it in hopes of a score......Blacktail and elk with children are far from a guarantee though so don't hold your breath on a report from me!
I

20231101_165322.jpg

Last edited: