350 legend

Heavyiron

With the advent of a easing of the law in great lakes states. Winchester is releasing a new cartridge, that they named the 350 legend. Supposedly if my info is correct it will headspace on the mouth as does a 45 acp. With a spec of 55,000 psi going in it will supposedly match the 35 rem, and they say the fastest cartridge in the world. How can a blown out 223 case to 35 caliber that holds limited case capacity follow thru with these claims. 35 calibers have had a limited following. I know, own a whelen myself. Could see where this cartridge will help, people that have been using shotguns, but i believe that their engineers could have found a better case to work wiith. Too early to tell but i believe it will fail. What do you think?

Seems to me they just "reintroduced: the old .351 Winchester round! Its a good one, but not "the fastest", ha.

They actually are trying to get into the straight wall rifle deer regulation for shotgun slug areas that has been passed in numerous states. I actually authored the first regulation for MI in 2009 but it took 5 years to get thru all the BS from DNR. The rule originally allowed same calibers allowed in pistol in rifle configuration but MI NRC asked to change it to just straight wall which I was perfectly OK with since if written that way, DNR would have definitely killed it. This law has now been fostered in 4-5 states and I just sent a package to NH for them to start process. The SOLE purpose of this rule was to improve hunter recruitment and hunter sustainability. What I find interesting is Winchester did not take advantage to out 1.8" which would have maxed out the case capacity and capability. So they took existing brass and blew it out to 1.71". Would 0.3 make a difference? I think so when you are talking about limited case capacity to start with. Their claim of fastest straight wall is a bit hokey since a .357 Max or even a .460 S&W mag will exceed their velocity easily in rifle configuration which has blossomed in Encores etc. But since they are only "manufactured" straight wall caliber in a rifle, they are staking this out. I think it will do fine since it will likely replace 20 ga slugs etc for youth, women, slight build folks who do not like getting their butt kicked off the bench with a slug recoil. I actually think this will help hunter recruitment for youth, women and even help keep older folks in the game. I have seen kids shoot one slug off bench and then go back to their phones but when shooting a straight wall rifle like a .357 mag etc, shoot all day and have a ball. A bolt gun with a scope shooting an accurate round will certainly provide positive feedback that they can shoot well and kill a deer. We need to realize times are different and we need to find ways to sustain our hunting heritage in every way we can. Having calibers like the .350 legend will definitely help in that regard. I have a Encore with 24" MGM barrel with .357 Max so I probably wouldn't grab one.

I also load my own slugs from: https://www.slugsrus.com/
that literally go thru same hole at 50 yds so I still like 12 ga slugs hunting heavy swamp cover. Nothing like a 494 gr. slug to get their attention!

Warning! This thread is more than 5 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.