400-425 grain .375 ULD Interest?

The cutting edge 400gr is only 2.210 long and its a solid so for a lead core to be 2.300" might be pushing things a bit ?

The 2.300" length is the maximum that would be stable in most 1 : 10 twist barrels. So if it was shorter then it would have a higher stability factor. Or you could maintain the length and have a heavier bullet. 425 grain??

When you go over 6 calibers in length strange things start to happen and you will need use twist rates not commonly found on 375 rifles.

Did I miss the part where it was said whether they were solids or jacketed? Good grief I hope we aren't talking about solid turned bullets again. Probably 500 modern shops that could make them for programming fees material and shop time. I even considered it but found solids to be unsatisfactory due to density issues. The only ones using them are people that really don't have any other choice. Not saying they make a bad bullet but they are inferior to what we could have in a jacketed!

The end user of this bullet will be one that intends on using it alone due to the fact that it will require a higher twist rate. As a long range rifle company we understand all of the variables and requirements of both short and long range shooting. There is no intention of this bullet to be functional in all twists or all current barrels. The hope is to create a bullet that people would build a gun around rather than the other way around.

It sound like you have a fear idea what bullet weights and twist rate neaded so do tell all.

I have had a bit of experience with lead core bullets in 416 Barrett.

I found that you cannot push them as hard as solid turned bullets.

I can get 3200 + with turned bullets, 3000 reliably tops out jacketed ones in my rifle.

I was experiencing the same sort of trouble that Berger encountered with the Gen 1 at around the same time.

So I think the weight, length & jacket thickness will be critical to obtain a good launch speed.

Also the twist required to spin up the higher BC bullets will be very hard on the jackets especially if launched hard by the bigger chamberings.

I'm in the process of building a couple of 375s big & small so a bullet that does fly will interest me :)

As long as its a conventional lead core jacketed bullet , line a SMK in shape with a weight in the range you state , plus has a reasonable BC , you may find , quite a few people waiting for some one to make this bullet , and have some components already , ie a action , brass , stock etc , just waiting for a long range 375 cal bullet to be available.
And when a bullet is made , then they can order the right twist for IT , and start the build .

I have 408CT brass , and have not done anything else for a coulpe of yrs , due to a bullet not being available , just waiting for the 375CT/VM to mature enough to make it a viable system .

Still waiting ,

Later Chris

This is just a test post to judge interest but the idea is to produce a jacketed lead core in the 400-425 range. Required twist is no matter as I have someone to cover that for me in the barrel business.

Warning! This thread is more than 13 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.