35mm Lapping Bar

sandbar782

Anyone make their own 35mm lapping bar? I hate to buy one for just 1 scope install. What are the thoughts on using a 1.375 4140 steel rod since 35mm is 1.378 and that stock is relatively inexpensive. Curious on everyone's thoughts. I would even borrow one if anyone would allow. Only need it for about 20 minutes...

Anyone make their own 35mm lapping bar? I hate to buy one for just 1 scope install. What are the thoughts on using a 1.375 4140 steel rod since 35mm is 1.378 and that stock is relatively inexpensive. Curious on everyone's thoughts. I would even borrow one if anyone would allow. Only need it for about 20 minutes...
The idea of lapping is to increase the contact surface due to irregularities. I have not lapped a ring for quite some time now. Instead, I use a mylar-type tape (I got mine at Amazon).

Scope ring mylar tape.jpg

The wonderful thing about the tape is it leaves no ring marks on your scope. I have used Ring True tape from High Power Optics for several years now, and scopes that I have moved from my muzzleloader and 338 Edge have no marks on them at all.

The wonderful thing about the tape is it leaves no ring marks on your scope. I have used Ring True tape from High Power Optics for several years now, and scopes that I have moved from my muzzleloader and 338 Edge have no marks on them at all.
Yes, Sir! It is basically the same material. I actually learned it from him when his shop business was in Ventura, CA IIRC. He also used to be an LRH member.

Bed the rings, a little Kiwi shoe polish for release and a small pack of JB weld will be all you need.

What are the thoughts on using a 1.375 4140 steel rod since 35mm is 1.378
Fuhgeddaboutit.
The drill rod is .003 smaller- that's a mile when it comes to what you're trying to do. It'll just slide around like a bolt in the receiver, and you'll remove material unevenly all around both rings. Lapping rod needs to be precisely the diameter of the scope tube the rings are designed to fit, and needing to remove any more than a few thousandths (which will oversize the rings) is indicative of a problem that can't be properly fixed by lapping.