358-300 RUM - what action

lovec_1

Hi all,

I plane to build a 358-300RUM sporter. I want simply rebarrel some older rifle (i got reamer already...). There are following options on available actions here: Rem 700 LA (mostly 300WM) , Weatherby Mk V (mostly 300Wby Mag) and SAKO - older "V" action (mostly in 300WM or 375H&H). Which one would be the best option for me? What max. magazine length have these rifles (Weatherby, SAKO)?

All ideas are welcome. gun)

The older Sako action chambered for .375 H&H should fit the bill perfectly.
I have not worked with the Sako but others have and know it will work.

I have worked on the Mark V a lot. There are a few options to make the mag longer than 3.750. None are difficult.

I have: 300RUM, 338/300RUM (aka Edge), 308/26-Nosler, 338/26-Nosler.

I'm itching for a 358 to add to the list.

I will be using a Mark V action with a Wby 460 mag box or I'm getting close to making my own for the longer cartridges.

Whether I make a 358/300RUM or 358/26-Nosler? I still don't know.

It all boils down to bullet. Cutting Edge 340MTH needs at least RUM/Lapua/Norma mag sized case to go the speeds I want.

Up to 250grain bullets go fast enough with the Nosler sized case.

The older Sako action chambered for .375 H&H should fit the bill perfectly.

Unless you're prone to keep creeping up in HP, then I'd go with the Mark 5. If you're going to use bullets like the 340 Cutting Edge, I think eventually you will want more case capacity.

Not yet. I've bought older rifle suitable for rebarreling but it is still untouched. Maybe next year. Inbetween I've build another rifles so now I'm playing with them. gun)

Hi all,

I plane to build a 358-300RUM sporter. I want simply rebarrel some older rifle (i got reamer already...). There are following options on available actions here: Rem 700 LA (mostly 300WM) , Weatherby Mk V (mostly 300Wby Mag) and SAKO - older "V" action (mostly in 300WM or 375H&H). Which one would be the best option for me? What max. magazine length have these rifles (Weatherby, SAKO)?

All ideas are welcome. gun)

There are lots of good actions that will handle you cartridge well. The most obvious choice would
be a 700 Remington in 7mm or 300 RUM. because it would require only a re barrel. everything else would work perfectly. and plenty of aftermarket parts are available.

The Mark 5 Weatherby would be my next choice but aftermarket parts are not as common.

I don't know about the availability of parts for the SAKO where you live, but they are very hard to find here.

J E CUSTOM

Warning! This thread is more than 8 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.