700 action / 300 RUM ?

robertjay53

I'm having a 300 RUM built on a 700 rem action and my questions are as follows. I will be loading 220 0r 240 SMK's.
The serria manual lists ths 300 RUM maximum AOL as being 3.600" I have seen some reloading data showing OAL over this max length. Question: If my AOL is over max will that work in my chamber? and if over, whats the max AOL for my magazine? Thanks for any help Bob Percifield

Your factory Rem 700 LA magazine box will likely allow a 3.660" OAL, +- .010 or so.

Also, Wyatt's Outdoor offers an extended mag box, which will let you load out to about 3.8" OAL. Gunsmith will have to fit this.

Your gunsmith will only be able to tell you what the throat length is for that specific 300 Ultra reamer he is using.

If it's a SAAMI spec reamer, you've already got the wrong reamer... you'll want a tighter than SAAMI spec neck diameter and possibly a shorter throat in order for these bullets to contact the lands while fitting down in the mag.

Wyatt's now has a center feed box mag that allows nearly 4 inches. (3.97....) just so you guys know it is available. Like the others said have it checked out.

Shawn

Have you fitted any of the 3.97 length boxes yet?

That is outside dims, yes?

I think the other was 3.91 outside length, I believe.

Warning! This thread is more than 20 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.