.357 mag rifle for hogs and deer?

bkwynn

Hi--I'm very new to shooting and reloading--at this point I hold the franchise on ignorance. I like handloading practice pistol ammo for my four grandchildren and myself in .38 Spl and .357 Mag. I'm thinking how convenient a .357 mag lever rifle would be if it is powerful enough for hogs at under 200 yards (most likely under 75 yds). I don't know about adequate ammo either.
Thanks.

People shoot them with pistols all the time, so I don't see any reason that a pistol caliber rifle won't work. I would suggest bullets 158g or heavier.
Shot placement is king. The ear, in the neck or just in front of the broadside front leg.

I totally agree with the above poster. Plus the added bbl length should yield more velocity. I've played with the Lever action .357 w/ a 4x leupy on top, man what a handy little package. Very quick handling & surprisingly accurate w/my personal .357 loads.

I am loading the 180grn XTP with a stout dose of H-110. Shoots lights out in my revolver & superbly in the lil Lever Rifle.

I think you would have a winner for a <100yd rifle.

Thanks for the feedback. I'm a long haul trucker and don't see my email for a week or so at a time. This also makes it hard to deer hunt during a short season. Hog hunting is the ticket, I think--year round opportunity. You didn't say exactly which rifle you use in .357. I would like to know, if you don't mind. I'm about to buy something but haven't quite decided on what yet. Any suggestions would be appreciated.--Thanks again, Bill.

I used a 357 carbine on a few deer 158 gr sp at 1850fps kills deer just fine I would want tougher bullet for hogs over 200lbs.

I like the 200 grain Cor Bon for hog and bear hunting with my 357 rifles, I personally find them to heavy recoil wise for my sidearm. Buffalo bore ammo makes a 357 hard cast that i like for them.

I have a friend who uses his 30 carbine to hunt hog at close range. A .357 rifle should be more than adequate at less than 100 yards. 200 yards is pushing it, but possible with good shot placement. Actually, I think that would be a really fun gun for hogs!

Warning! This thread is more than 13 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Recent Posts