.350 Rem Mag

I have been using TAC and still have about 100 200 gr TSX's. I have taken numerous black bears, hogs and a few deer with it. BTW, I am getting 2845 fps out of the factory 20" barrel using 62 grs of TAC , which is 2 grs under barnes book max.

My concern is range but 350 yards max should work nicely. 300 would be more better.

I will probably go fir a shoulder **** if it's 200 and under.

I shot one Elk with the 350 mag after a bad experience with a 7SAUM. One shot at 175 yards dropped and didn't even twitch. 225 Grain Nosler partition at 2700 ft./s.

Probably shouldn't ask but here goes, curious as to what your bad experience with the 7 SAUM was?

Good question. The 7SAUM was probably the best rifle I've owned. I bought it when the round first came out in a model 7AWR the barrel was marked first production also bought 200 rounds of factory Remington 160 grain partitions to start out. With that combo it shot under .75 MOA.
I used it for about 15 years straight. At that time I was guiding pig hunts and probably took a few hundred animals with it. Almost all one shot kills including I think three elk.
The problem was I shot an elk at about 175 yards. Look to be a good shot broke the shoulder going in and exited just in front of the opposite shoulder going out looking back. I don't know if the bigger round would've killed him any faster, but he went about a half mile the wrong direction at about 10,000 foot elevation. When I caught him, he was still on his feet and required a second shot. That being said, if I had both those model sevens in front of me, I think I would always go for the 350 mag there's a substantial difference when you see an animal hit with either round.
I mostly use a 300WM now with a 200 grain bullet. Seems to be enough gun with better range.

Interesting, what'd the lungs look like? I've used and been in and around a ton load of elk taken with the 160 Noz out of various Big 7's and it's been nothing short of perfection.

Although I get stellar accuracy from the 7mm Nosler 160gr Accubonds I find the terminal performance to be merely good and I'd prefer the Partition bullets for terminal performance but they just aren't as accurate for me and the ballistic coefficient isn't that great so I mostly shoot the 160gr Accubonds.

The Accubonds tend to wander a bit inside the animals and one of the things I liked about partitions is they went straight through. That's good if you're shooting anything but broadside. I've had Partitions go from end to end in whitetails and I wouldn't even try that with an Accubond as they kind of wander as I've said before.

Yeah... I can hear the copper bullet guys leaning forward and madly typing on their keyboards already but I had erratic results with all copper bullets and the failure rate from people I know is much higher than lead core stuff. Failure to open spells disaster when there is almost always a deep swamp a game animal can disappear into necessitating a very unpleasant recovery if you recover the animal at all.

Although I get stellar accuracy from the 7mm Nosler 160gr Accubonds I find the terminal performance to be merely good and I'd prefer the Partition bullets for terminal performance but they just aren't as accurate for me and the ballistic coefficient isn't that great so I mostly shoot the 160gr Accubonds.

The Accubonds tend to wander a bit inside the animals and one of the things I liked about partitions is they went straight through. That's good if you're shooting anything but broadside. I've had Partitions go from end to end in whitetails and I wouldn't even try that with an Accubond as they kind of wander as I've said before.

Yeah... I can hear the copper bullet guys leaning forward and madly typing on their keyboards already but I had erratic results with all copper bullets and the failure rate from people I know is much higher than lead core stuff. Failure to open spells disaster when there is almost always a deep swamp a game animal can disappear into necessitating a very unpleasant recovery if you recover the animal at all.
Be glad you have a choice.

Last year I killed a nice bull with my .30-06 using the 168 gr TTSX. I want to change things up this year and I am thinking about using my Rem KS custom shop model 7 .350 magnum.

It shoots the 200 gr TSX very well, at 2845 fps. Does anyone have Elk experience with the .350 mag? Looking for some data points concerning range, penetration etc. I will probably limit my shots to 300-350 yards max, but wondering what you have experienced.
I have it's big brother, the .358 Norma. I always thought the .350 rem mag was just ahead of its time. Sweet little cartridge. Great uncle had one, a lightweight gun that killed on one end and maimed on the other as they say, but he lived in northern British Colombia and that was his "just in case" rifle regarding hunting moose in big bear country. He was fond of the sadly discontinued hornady 250 grain round nose bullet for brush hunting big moose.

There is absolutely zero reason NOT to use the 200 grain tsx load you've found to shoot well. Let us know if you get one!

Be glad you have a choice.
Yes... We have many choices and that's simply wonderful. I'm not as much a tinkerer as many on here. When I find a rifle that shoots most anything I load for it well I tend to quit tinkering and shoot more and hunt a lot with it. LRH has gone the way of almost every hunting forum. They become all about rifles, scopes and handloading.

More power to people that obsess over that stuff. I'm a shooter and hunter first and love to shoot accurate rifles and handguns.

Most of my rifles I've kept will shoot like that. Trying to make an inaccurate rifle shoot by constant handloading and tinkering bores me. If they won't shoot most any load with an appropriate bullet for that caliber I take them to my gunsmith. Custom barrels and quality bedding seem to be what most rifles need. It does help that I top most of them with high end scopes from Nightforce and Leupold.

The 350 will kill anything that walks in North America. The 200 Barnes is a good bullet. Ramshot Tac will give the best velocities. Due to it's low BC it's not a great long range bullet. But it was popular in Alaska with guides for good reasons. It's a light handy rifle that packs a big punch and will handle the big bears. It's not pleasant to shoot at the bench. I would recommend ear pro as well. Shooting a short barreled 600 without ear pro has toasted my left ear.

I have it's big brother, the .358 Norma. I always thought the .350 rem mag was just ahead of its time. Sweet little cartridge. Great uncle had one, a lightweight gun that killed on one end and maimed on the other as they say, but he lived in northern British Colombia and that was his "just in case" rifle regarding hunting moose in big bear country. He was fond of the sadly discontinued hornady 250 grain round nose bullet for brush hunting big moose.

There is absolutely zero reason NOT to use the 200 grain tsx load you've found to shoot well. Let us know if you get one!
Nailed it!

Interesting, what'd the lungs look like? I've used and been in and around a ton load of elk taken with the 160 Noz out of various Big 7's and it's been nothing short of perfection.
The shot was a couple of inches forward I think he had just enough lung left to keep him going. Had a massive blood trail. Don't think he had any blood left in him. When I caught up to him I think I could have pushed him over. Frozen on his feet. I agree with you on the partition give up a little BC but they always seem to work.

Recent Posts