35 whelen- Black Bear

I have shot several black bears with the 35 Whelen's little brother - the .358 Winchester, and have used the good 'ole 225gr Sierra Game King BT at around 2450 FPS. Bears ranged from 200-450lbs and this load WRECKS them. Crazy accurate too. The 35 Whelen will just do that much better. Great choice for black bears.

Absolutely great cartridge choice. Any combination 180-250 grain bullet with do a great job. I personally would use a controlled expansion bullet (bonded core, Partition, or Barnes Tripple Shock. Reloaded 15, H4895, IMR 4064, H4350, W-748 or w-760 are all good choices.
Rustystud

Both my son and I black bear hunt with 35 Whelens in Maine over bait. The rifles are Ruger 77 tang safety rebores from 30-06 to the 35 Whelens. The last outfitter that we went with asked what we were hunting with, we told him Whelens, the outfitter/guide smiled when we said that. I asked him what he was smiling about, he said, "Because with the Whelen we don't have to track them." I've shot quite a few bear with the Barnes 225gr TSX bullet, never recovered a bullet. We shoot 57.5gr of IMR 4064. Tissue damage is golf-ball size entrance and fist size exit holes every time. I believe that the 225gr gives optimum performance/velocity in the Whelen. We also hunt with the .358 Winchesters as well as the Whelen. I like the Barnes 200gr TTSX bullets with this cartridge; again great performance/velocity with this round, terminal results. I really do not know the reason that the 35 Whelen is not more popular than what it is. The round is easy to load for, brass is readily available or easy to fire form, yet it is like an obsolete cartridge that only has a small following. For accuracy our Whelens like the Sierra 225gr Gamekings, out to 300 yards they are tack drivers. Where are you planning to hunt, and at what distances? We're always like to look at new outfitters and what is out there for hunting black bear. We have been thinking about a Manitoba hunt, however just not gotten there yet.
Planning to hunt Eastern NC. as for distance Im not thinking ill have a shot farther than 75 yards, all my bears so far have been shot in Maine with my 30-06 180gr barnes

I built my best friend (more a brother actually) a 35 Whelen on a Browning A-bolt action and fitted a premium match grade 1 in 12 barrel to it. I set it up for the 225 gr Accubond. It groups around 5/8" at 200 yards, and hits like the hammer of Thor within 300 yards. I'd think 1 in 14 should stabilize either 200 gr accubond or 225 gr Accubond.

I have a savage 110 I rebarreled to 35 whelen, Im planning on bear hunting with it. It has a 24in barrel and I believe a 1-14 twist. What do you all recommend for bears and maybe some of your favorite loads? Ive only shot hornady 200gr factory loads so far with it and havent reloaded for it yet. thanks!
Most bear in Alaska are killed with 30-06 and Federal 180 gr bullets.

I built my best friend (more a brother actually) a 35 Whelen on a Browning A-bolt action and fitted a premium match grade 1 in 12 barrel to it. I set it up for the 225 gr Accubond. It groups around 5/8" at 200 yards, and hits like the hammer of Thor within 300 yards. I'd think 1 in 14 should stabilize either 200 gr accubond or 225 gr Accubond.

May I humbly ask which manufacturer you found with the 1/12" twist in a Premium Barrel (Pacnor, perhaps?????)? My 35 Whelen VZ-24 has a 1-14" twist, and my 358 Win AR-10 has "my preferred 1/12" twist."

BOTH ARE HAMMERS!!!! :cool:

I have a savage 110 I rebarreled to 35 whelen, Im planning on bear hunting with it. It has a 24in barrel and I believe a 1-14 twist. What do you all recommend for bears and maybe some of your favorite loads? Ive only shot hornady 200gr factory loads so far with it and havent reloaded for it yet. thanks!
I have a 358 and I like the 225 gr in mine.

There is no"magic bullet". Use what puts them where you aim them...bear are not hard to kill if they aren't charging

Thanks for all the info, Im already a barnes fan and think I will start there. The rifle shoots the factory 200gr hornadys very good, but I cant leave well enough alone most of the time.

The Barnes 200gr. TTSX is an awesome bullet as well. Tipped boat tail, ought to get 2700-2900fps out of it. I like that bullet for the.358 Winchester, just like the 225gr for the Whelen.