35 whelen- Black Bear

RBlevins

I have a savage 110 I rebarreled to 35 whelen, Im planning on bear hunting with it. It has a 24in barrel and I believe a 1-14 twist. What do you all recommend for bears and maybe some of your favorite loads? Ive only shot hornady 200gr factory loads so far with it and havent reloaded for it yet. thanks!

200 gr ttsx barnes, Or 200 gr accubond over 56-57gr H4895. Both are in the 2775-2800fps range and both 0.6-1.0MOA consistently. Mule deer do not seem to like the barnes load. Havent shot anything with the accubond load yet.

Depends a little on how you plan to hunt? Factory Remington 250 grain core-locts work very well. Handloads probably the 223 grain Hammer Sledge Hammer, although the 245 Sledge Hammer has it's place.
for this fall will be hunting over bait, 50-75 yards max shot, Im sure with a whelen I have plenty of gun no matter the load but they do kill huge bears in the area (705 pound killed there last year)

I have to say I shot 52 grains RL15 and a hornady 250 round nose at a sedate 2250 fps and it was one of the most accurate rifles I ever had. not much for long range but you could shoot one hole groups with it..it was one of the remington 700 classics

I have a savage 110 I rebarreled to 35 whelen, Im planning on bear hunting with it. It has a 24in barrel and I believe a 1-14 twist. What do you all recommend for bears and maybe some of your favorite loads? Ive only shot hornady 200gr factory loads so far with it and havent reloaded for it yet. thanks!

Both my son and I black bear hunt with 35 Whelens in Maine over bait. The rifles are Ruger 77 tang safety rebores from 30-06 to the 35 Whelens. The last outfitter that we went with asked what we were hunting with, we told him Whelens, the outfitter/guide smiled when we said that. I asked him what he was smiling about, he said, "Because with the Whelen we don't have to track them." I've shot quite a few bear with the Barnes 225gr TSX bullet, never recovered a bullet. We shoot 57.5gr of IMR 4064. Tissue damage is golf-ball size entrance and fist size exit holes every time. I believe that the 225gr gives optimum performance/velocity in the Whelen. We also hunt with the .358 Winchesters as well as the Whelen. I like the Barnes 200gr TTSX bullets with this cartridge; again great performance/velocity with this round, terminal results. I really do not know the reason that the 35 Whelen is not more popular than what it is. The round is easy to load for, brass is readily available or easy to fire form, yet it is like an obsolete cartridge that only has a small following. For accuracy our Whelens like the Sierra 225gr Gamekings, out to 300 yards they are tack drivers. Where are you planning to hunt, and at what distances? We're always like to look at new outfitters and what is out there for hunting black bear. We have been thinking about a Manitoba hunt, however just not gotten there yet.

Last edited: