340 Weatherby Brass

rml30378

I'm in the process building a 340 and looking for brass option other than Weatherby's. I see that Bertram has 340 available to pre-order. I've never used any from them , is it any good for the money? My second option that I'm leaning towards is necking up 300 WBY Peterson brass when it comes back on market. I use enough of Peterson to now its good stuff. My question is , is the cheaper Bertram a better buy from people that used it?
Thanks

Weatherby brass primer pockets get loose to fast for me. Over time I have moved away from their brass in calibers I own for this reason.
257 WBY - fire formed Winchester (blue bag) 7 mm Rem Mag brass
300 WBY - Remington brass
30-378 - Hornady and Nosler brass
378 WBY - Jamison 500 Basic
416 WBY - Jamison 500 Basic
460 WBY - Norma and Jamison 500 Basic
My average on Weatherby brass was 4 firings some of these above are at 6 and still good as new.
Just looking for a quality substitute.

7mm mag brass to 257 Weatherby?? Thats a stretch LOL how did you clean up the necks?

Weatherby brass primer pockets get loose to fast for me. Over time I have moved away from their brass in calibers I own for this reason.
257 WBY - fire formed Winchester (blue bag) 7 mm Rem Mag brass
300 WBY - Remington brass
30-378 - Hornady and Nosler brass
378 WBY - Jamison 500 Basic
416 WBY - Jamison 500 Basic
460 WBY - Norma and Jamison 500 Basic
My average on Weatherby brass was 4 firings some of these above are at 6 and still good as new.
Just looking for a quality substitute.
7mm

If the headstamp does not matter to you I would use the Peterson in my experience it is far superior to Bertram

There is no need to clean up necks. Once through the FL die gave me 0.0125" thickness. That being said I would never use the current offering from Winchester , now that better quality brass is available. The only draw back is the brass is short by about 0.045"-0.050".
I did go ahead and ordered the Bretram brass , I hope it wasn't a mistake.

I have made all of my full length Weatherby chamberings from 375H&H brass, just simply neck it and fire form with COW.
I have a few hundred of Remington 300 Weatherby cases I picked up cheap from factory loads about 25 years ago now.
Still haven't used a 1/3 of it yet.
Headstamp difference doesn't bother me at all.
My only experience with Bertram wasn't a good one, but that was a long time ago now.

Cheers.

I have necked up and down either 375 H&H or 8mm Rem Mag with good results. The internal capacity of that brass vs Weatherby brass is different so tailor your load data accordingly.

Recent Posts