338WM: Berger VLD 250g EH

Don't overlook the original long range projectile for the 338 Wm, the 250 Sierra Gameking. I've killed a couple big Bull Elk with that bullet launched at around 2800 fps, it does a great job. Price is right also!

Tony, for some unexplained reason, Sierra is sold at premium prices here in oz. .. and Hornady is very reasonable ... most popular for volume shooting

I have not shot game with the 250 Berger yet in my 338 Sherman, but so far, they are the most accurate bullet I have tested "hands down"! I am running them at 2800 and change and have shot 1/4 moa at 400 yards. My best powders are H100V, RL17, and N550. I have not jumped them very far, so can't speak to that. My little Sherman case is so full of powder that there is not much room left to jump! I plan on using it for a spring bear hunt in Id., so with a little luck, I hope to have some data that is useful.........Rich

Tony, for some unexplained reason, Sierra is sold at premium prices here in oz. .. and Hornady is very reasonable ... most popular for volume shooting
I've long been a fan of the 225 hdy sp in my 338win. That with rl19 or h4831 will do very well. I have both 225 Nosler ab's and 225 hdy bullets loaded for my #1 in 338win with rl19 pushing them.

HI Everyone.

Been lurking. I have loaded a few Berger 250 EH for my 338 WM, ans hopefully get to shoot them this weekend. Aiming for a MV of about 2650fps.

I am seriously considering using it this year as opposed to my trusty Barnes TTSXs. But with all the information on forums etc., I find it very daunting to try it out in real hunting situations. On my list this year are the following game types: Warthog, Impala, Waterbuck, Bluewildebeest and Eland. Distances that we will encounter in the hunt is 50m - 400m, same as OP.

Is there anyone that can comment on the above, or give suggestions to best shot placement with these bullets to get definite performance?

Thanks everyone in advance.

HI Everyone.

Been lurking. I have loaded a few Berger 250 EH for my 338 WM, ans hopefully get to shoot them this weekend. Aiming for a MV of about 2650fps.

I am seriously considering using it this year as opposed to my trusty Barnes TTSXs. But with all the information on forums etc., I find it very daunting to try it out in real hunting situations. On my list this year are the following game types: Warthog, Impala, Waterbuck, Bluewildebeest and Eland. Distances that we will encounter in the hunt is 50m - 400m, same as OP.

Is there anyone that can comment on the above, or give suggestions to best shot placement with these bullets to get definite performance?

Thanks everyone in advance.

Warning! This thread is more than 7 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Recent Posts