338rum build

I was interested in building a 338 that could hunt elk out to 1000 yards. I have a 338 win mag which is a fun and accurate rifle, but after years of reading about the 338 rum, 338 lapua, and 338 edge I want one. Cost has been the biggest prohibiting factor, but I am finally going to do it.

I have decided on a 338 rum mainly because it will be the cheapest to shoot and it has plenty power to get out to 1000 yards. I have a new Remington SPS in 300 rum as a donor rifle. My gunsmith is truing the action. Ordered a 27" Pac Nor barrel with a # 6 contour 1 in 9 twist.

I am trying to make it good at long range and also not so heavy I can't carry it. It is a tradeoff between to much weight or to much recoil. With the stock, rings and mount, scope, and muzzle break best guess is total weight of about 12 lbs. Is this a good tradeoff weight?

What muzzle break would you use? I have been looking at Kiby's APS painkiller and Shawn's DE brake.

The last thing to decide on is which stock. I want a tactical stock with adjustable cheek piece and adjustable length of pull. Bell and Carson(A5) and HS Precision(M24) are two that are in my price range is one any better than the other?

Anyway I am fishing for opinions/knowledge especially on how much the rifle should weight. Thanks.

id go look at hollands new break. ive got it on my 300 ultra and i cant feel it move.

Warning! This thread is more than 15 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Recent Posts