Hunting scope for 338RUM

wasgas

Best LR capable hunting scopes under 1k?

I am in the market for a scope for a 338RUM sporter to be used for hunting and also capable of long ranges. I do not want one of the huge tactical scopes that doubles as a hammer should I need to build a barn in the woods. I want the best glass I can afford that will allow for use in low light conditions. I just removed a VX3 LR 8.5-25X50 and this is the worst idea I ever had for hunting scope, to much magnification. I am thinking that I would like lower 3-4 power and higher 15-20 power ranges, I also want to be able to smack a rock or anything else that I come across out to 1,000 yards should I decide to. If I had to put a $$$ amount on it then my target price range would be about $800 but if there is clearly a better scope for more money then I will go that route. I will be hunting desert couse deer, elk, mule deer, coastal bears, daughters boy friends etc....

Here are few that have come to mind whats your thoughts, what else should I consider?
Minox
Zeiss Conquest
Leupold VX3
Steiner Predator xtreme
Swaro Z5

The 5-20 Minox is a good choice.
The 4.5-14 Zeiss Conquest is great but may hinder 1k rock shots at 14x.
I know you said you didn't want tactical but for what your asking I can't see anything that fits the bill better than a 3.5-15x50 Nightforce NXS.
Sightron also makes a 3.5-15 I believe although I could be mistaken, but there SIII 6-24x50 with the 2moa reticle works fine in low light as close as 25 yards.
My opinion on the leupold is if you want to spend less than 800, the Weaver 4-20x50 Superslam Euro is right on par with the Mark 4, now that weaver, redfield, and leupold are all owned by ATK as well as 2 dozen other companies.
I have 2 weavers, 3 Nikons, 2 Nightforces, 2 Sightrons, and 1 Conquest, and I think the Sightrons are the best bang for the buck, everyone has been on the Vortex kick lately, I had one and was not impressed, so now someone else is the proud owner.

It sounds like you were almost there...I too make the mistake of the 8.5x25 at one time on a 22-250, it's great for p-dogs but try shooting a running coyote inside 100!!

The solution for me was a order from the Leupold custom shop, VX3 LR, 30mm tube 40mm objective, side focus M1 dial and TMR reticle, 6.5-20 but you could do 4.5-14, I hunt coues with this setup so I opted for the higher magnification.

It's nice & light, compact and just under $1k....the M1 dial allows for dialing elevation and I can hold wind.

I actually have a Minox on back order but not sure how long it will take to get in, and I have never been able to see one in person so still have my doubts on it? The Zeiss and Leupold are both 4-14 power and make it hard to see antler tines much past 500 yards. I had the NF 3-15 in my hands yesterday and I liked it but like I said it could double as an anvil, its just to big and heavy for what I am after in a hunting rig. I will try to check out a Weaver Euro that's a new one to me. I know Meopta does not have the best supporters on this forum but I love their glass, just not sure the eye relief would be enough?

Wasgas, here are a couple of suggestions from me so that you can keep an eye out for your daughters boyfriend (s)?...................

I have a remington custom gun shop 338 ultra and it sports a Zeiss conquest 4.5 x 14 44mm with the rapid z 800 reticle. Absolutely no problem seeing and shooting rocks out to and past 1000 yards. I know what you mean about the heavy tactical optics.......why have a mountain rifle and then stick a 2 or 3 pound scope on it.

Also, don't overlook Vortex----they have some very good scopes that would fit your requirements, especially their viper hs lr.

Randy

I have a Vortex Viper PST 2.5-10*44 and really like it. It has great adjustments, illuminated reticule and the MOA reticule. I would opt for a 4.5-16 PST (i think thats the mag range but not sure) on a big game rifle.
They are very sturdy, not as sturdy as a nighforce, but sturdy.
I feel that they have the best features for the price point, but you can probably get better glass from Zeiss, Leupold or Sightron... that being said the glass would be better but not much.
I have also looked at the HS line from Vortex and I felt they were pretty good, but the PSTs are nicer. The thing that I liked best about the PST was that it functions like a tactical scope but doesnt have the weight and bulk.

I have a Mark 4 4.5-14*50 that I have on my lightweight .338 RUM, I think that all together its just under 9 lbs. The glass is really good, the scope is very tough and its very light for a tactical scope but.. its pretty bulky with the M1 turrets. You can get these used for just under 1k.

I thought I would mention those as they are what I have and I have a similar rifle.

If I had the choice of any scope I would look into the March line, its hard to beat a scope with 2.5-25 mag range.. even if it has a 55mm bell.

This week I looked at a number of scopes and was let down by a few of them. I was looking forward to seeing the Viper PST and took a buddy along who is a big Vortex fan and we were both very dissapointed in the glass of the PST, it was simply not up to par with the other $900 scopes. I was able to get my hands on Minox ZA5 3-15X42, this one does not have paralax (side focus). I took it out at high noon and it the focus at long ranges did not seem quite right for me, I compared it to a Burris 4.5-14X44 AO and the burris seemed crisper to me. Waited till sunset and took it out again and compared to my only other un mounted scope a Nikon Monarch UCC 3-10X50 Illum, both scopes have about the same MSRP of around $550 looking away from the sun it bright areas both were compareable on the same powers, but when looking west the Minox picked a great deal of glare. Looking into the shadows the Minox lost light long before the Nikon. The turret adjustment on the Minox appears to be identical to the Nikons which I like for a non target turret scope. I willl be returning this scope as it is not for me I will also be canceling the 4-20X50 I have on backorder. Looks like the Zeiss or Swaro will likely be what I end up with as both are very bright and do well in low light while keeping weight and size to a minimum. To this day the best glass I own is Meopta Meostar (binos&3-10X50 scope) it is very clear and lets in a ton of light.

Wasgas, bigngreen just purchased a scope that he has been wanting for a while. He is a true blue (well green) shooter and knows what he is after. I can't recall what scope it is but it does have a zero stop. I was impressed with his impression. I'm in the market for the same scope as you. I have a great shooting 338 RUM and had a 4,5-14 Weaver Tactical (old model) on it in FFP. It is top notch for even beyond 1K. Moved it over to a 223 gas gun because of the mil dot reticle and 1/8 MOA clicks. I recommend doing a search on bigngreen then send him a PM and ask what he came up with. regards

Best LR capable hunting scopes under 1k?

I am in the market for a scope for a 338RUM sporter to be used for hunting and also capable of long ranges. I do not want one of the huge tactical scopes that doubles as a hammer should I need to build a barn in the woods. I want the best glass I can afford that will allow for use in low light conditions. I just removed a VX3 LR 8.5-25X50 and this is the worst idea I ever had for hunting scope, to much magnification. I am thinking that I would like lower 3-4 power and higher 15-20 power ranges, I also want to be able to smack a rock or anything else that I come across out to 1,000 yards should I decide to. If I had to put a $$$ amount on it then my target price range would be about $800 but if there is clearly a better scope for more money then I will go that route. I will be hunting desert couse deer, elk, mule deer, coastal bears, daughters boy friends etc....

Here are few that have come to mind whats your thoughts, what else should I consider?
Minox
Zeiss Conquest
Leupold VX3
Steiner Predator xtreme
Swaro Z5

A light weight sporter rifle and lower cost optics on a magnum .338 is certainly capable of shooting long range. Hitting stuff at long range though, extra weight and better optics is my preferred choice. Carrying the extra weight is part of the entry fee to shoot long range. But that is just me.

I got ahold of a Minox and I don't like the glass on it, the glare is real bad at sunrise and sunset. I bought a Zeiss conquest and found it has a blem inside it on the glass and will have to send it back. I have had 3 Zeiss conquest scopes in the last 5 years and this is the second one with that problem.

wasgas, that is disappointing to hear about the Zeiss.
What is the expected turnaround time for it to be corrected?

Warning! This thread is more than 12 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.