.300RUM, .338RUM & .338Lapua

I have had alot of trouble with Rem. brass,But sence I got my 338 REM ULTRA MAG the only brass I can buy for it is Rem. but the Rem brass seems to be holding up pretty good for the RUM. I've got 6 reloads out of it so far and thats shooting a 250gr bullet at 2950 fps with it. So maybe they changed. At least with this cal.I've sent them E-mails about how their brass is no good.

HELLO Everybody!!!

About Remington brass? I've haven't really had any problems with it.I feel as long as you have quality dies and a good barrel the gun is going to shoot.Besides if you want to try different brass,Federal is cataloging this caliber.Also as far as rechambering a Remington to any round such as a 338 Lapua or 416 Rigby or 378WBY or Lazzaroni, forget about it.That action was never ment for those powerhouses.Don't get me wrong.I like the Remington action,but sooner or later something going to give!!If you do it,where a helmet and face shield.GOOD LUCK!!!

If you are thinking of any of the above calibers perhaps start with a large action, PGW Timberwolf or the big .416Rigby sized CZ. I suppose the Sako .338 Lapua can also be used depending on availability. This way you can rechamber/rebarrel and not have to buy a larger action. (Maybe have multiple bolts and barrels headspaced for switch-barrel usage?)

I don't really see a great advantage between the .338 Lapua and the .338RUM but, throw in the Lapua Improved and you have a big difference. The RUM's were Remington/Winchester's answer to the big Lapua's except instead of retooling and making a larger action they just made a new cartridge to fit the existing action. It all depends on availability of the components and parts, that should determine what to buy and use. (I can't goto the local gun store and buy a $55 box of .338 Lapua but I can get two boxes of .338RUM.) With that said I use a Armalite AR-30 and the .338 Lapua, I was not aware of the RUM until after I purchased the rifle... If I knew that the RUM existed I would have went with that and saved on ammo. (I wanted a large accurate heavy hitter that didn't use a belted case, .50BMG was too big soo... plus this was my step-up gun from a .22lr rimfire!)

I have a Sako TRG chambered in .338 Lapua and love it. Out of the box it shot 3/4" groups with the first load I tried, which is : Norma brass, Federal 215 match primers, 87.7 grains of IMR 4350, and 215 grain Sierra Game Kings. I have chronographed this load at over 3200 fps. I definately recommend a muzzle break for any kind of bench shooting, but it is managable without one in the field.

Warning! This thread is more than 21 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.